Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ibex riders...I'm soon to buy a new IBEX Asta something::???: (have not decided)

I keep reading the reviews on the Sram X7 being better than the X9 ... so I'm rather confused on which one to buy.. Expert X9 with Sram X9, Race with Shim Mix, the Comp x7 because of the X7 drive train, or the Pro with the new 07 XT.... The Reba SL seems to have received better reviews than the R7 but I know they are both good forks. Hays HD brakes recieved better reviews than the Shim XT..however I'm not sure about avid BB 7 Mech verses HD....I'm willing to spend the extra money, but not quite sure it's worth it! 1 pound difference really!

What do you think!

Any IBEX fans in Austin that might have a suggestion considering the terrain around this place.

Also I'm 6ft...18 or 20 ? ride a 19 now....and since I can't get my hands on the bike to ride need to gather as much info before making my mind up.

Saving my money for road trips to Awesome rides around the country.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
X9 is better than X7 no question.

Bike store dudes will tell you that X9 is better than XT too, despite being cheaper.

I have X9 on both my bikes. Great stuff.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
also take in to consideration that an 06 X9 is an equivilent to an 07 X7... As for X9 being better then XT, i dont know, but a lot of my Shimano converts have really liked their X9... There is however a lot of breaking of them according to the reviews on Mtbr which the main reason why i stray away from them. But i really like the Sram triggers though...

As for the brakes, although being an entry level Hydraulic system, the HFX9 HD is better then the BB7 in both modulation and power in my opinion. Shimano XT brakes? Those kick some serious butt with the 4pot... I would love to have them on my bike, but no dough...

As for sizing, i'm not too sure. Your best bet is to give Jack at Ibex a call

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I would suggest, in order

2007 X9

2007 X7 or 2006 X9

XT

2006 X7

The 2006 X9 shifters are nice but have one dumb piece of design, which is a stupid rubber plug for quick cable replacement. It's almost impossible to remove without wrecking it. The 2007 X9 shifters are MUCH better.

SRAM stuff is much more maintainable than XT... if something breaks it is usually available as a service part. That's why the bike store guys like it. It also tends to stay in adjustment longer than Shimano, partly because of the 1:1 as opposed to 2:1 pull ratio. IE once you have set it up, it just keeps on-a-shiftin' without further twiddling.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
depends on your preference in drivetrai between the Sram x7 and Shimano XT... they should perform around the same...

Difference between the Asta Race and Asta Comp is

Asta race has a better fork. Better cassete. Better shock. Better brakes. Not too sure about hubs though, i'm a little old fashioned... Better cockpit and better pedals...

If you can afford the Asta Race then go for it... If you cant or cant wait for the launching, then the Asta Comp will serve well as well... Both are fine bikes...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Powered by SRAM...........................

Rev. Michael McCaskill said:
I keep reading the reviews on the Sram X7 being better than the X9 ... so I'm rather confused on which one to buy.. Expert X9 with Sram X9, Race with Shim Mix, the Comp x7 because of the X7 drive train, or the Pro with the new 07 XT.... The Reba SL seems to have received better reviews than the R7 but I know they are both good forks. Hays HD brakes recieved better reviews than the Shim XT..however I'm not sure about avid BB 7 Mech verses HD....I'm willing to spend the extra money, but not quite sure it's worth it! 1 pound difference really!
What do you think!
Lets see if I can shed some light on this subject:

Older X9's from 05' and back saw there share of problems, which were resolved on the 06' X9's. The 07' X9's on the new Ibex bikes are all new and formatted after the race proven XO's (top of the line) from 06'.

The X7's have always been a winner for SRAM and this year they stepped up another notch to the 06' blueprints and materials of the revised X9's of 06'...Confused yet :lol:

I'll pull up some articles to help on the topic..

IMO, the new 07' X7 = LX and XT........07' X9 = XT and in the face of XTR.........06' XO has taken on a world all of there own :thumbsup:

Jake :ihih:

PS. I'm not posting my opinion and what I've researched to start a Shimano vs SRAM pissing contest..:nono:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point I figure I'm saving quite a bit over the Epic my other choice... So it was Pro verses Expert....I like the Reba sl better than the R7 for whatever reason.

So Maybe expert...I use XT now so I'm up for a change.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Rev. Michael McCaskill said:
I wish I could get the Pearl white in X9 or XT...That is one fine looking bike!
another white loving guy... i wished they made the Zone's in White too... lol

Oooooo... you were comparing the X9 and the XT/XTR and not the LX/XT and the X7... I'd go with the X9... but i really prefer the Shimano XT brakes... lol

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
taikuodo said:
Lol jake i wonder if you actually ride that bike or you just built it up to show it off haha..
Yup, I ride it as much as my old and broken bones allow. :thumbsup:

If it was yours, would you clean and lube it after every ride, keep it in the house and show it off?
:idea: O'hell yes :lol:

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Yup, I ride it as much as my old and broken bones allow. :thumbsup:

If it was yours, would you clean and lube it after every ride, keep it in the house and show it off?
:idea: O'hell yes :lol:
since i started riding with dogonfr, i've become a little lazy on cleaning the bike... i clean the drivetrain once a week or once every two weeks. and i clean the whole bike once a month or 1 1/2 months... used to do it after every ride... lol. But then again, i didnt used to ride 4 - 5 times a week...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
mrpercussive said:
since i started riding with dogonfr, i've become a little lazy on cleaning the bike... i clean the drivetrain once a week or once every two weeks. and i clean the whole bike once a month or 1 1/2 months... used to do it after every ride... lol. But then again, i didnt used to ride 4 - 5 times a week...
I can understand that :D
If I rode that much I wouldn't be quite that lax, but not near as anal as I am now :lol:

Jake :ihih:

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Xd,

mrpercussive said:
i still cant believe they tore down the local dj and ds site... It was 15minutes from my house and school... now where am i gonna ride after classes... sniff...
Ya, that sucks major butt :madman: I guess your gonna have to go full time urban assault :thumbsup:

PS.That was an AWESOME air drumming concert :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The X9 is excellent all around. There were some original doubts mentioned about the quality of the hayes brakes, but so far they have been fine. The brakes take some mileage to actually bed in, about 150 miles and after that they really start to shine. If I were to do it again I would order the exact same set-up I'm running now. The Asta X9.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.