Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide whether or not I should upgrade my rear shock from the van r and if so what would you guys recomend. I'm looking for more adjustability. I also would like some feedback on any experiences with air vs coil shocks

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more freeriding and dhing now that i'm 1.5 miles from a mountain, I have a cross country trail network around, but I never touch it. And the freeriding ( which is the majority of my riding) is not lift accessed.

· ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
Best off with a coil shock something like the Fox DHX5.0 would be sweet. :thumbsup:

Air shocks dont have the feel and response when riding aggressively they are great at controlling pedal feedback but thats about it. Manitou has come the closest to duplicating a coil with the ISX-4 and works awesome as an AM shock. :thumbsup:

Coil will be smoother on stutter bumps plush on the roots n ruts can handle the speed while railing rock gardens, basically it works. :D

· ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
rafster said:
What are your thoughts on a dhx 3.0 or 4.0, what exactly are the differences? i now they are OE shocks and that I would buy used.
If your looking for more adjustability to dial the shock more to your riding and terrain the 5.o is the way to go. The 3.0 and 4.0 are kinda like a Vanilla on Red Bull. Check Spadout for pricing thy find some smokin good deals on the net, also would recommend going new unless you really know where the shock is coming from, buying someone elses junk can be a real let down. :cornut:

http://www.spadout.com/c/rear-shock/

· Just Joshin' ya!
1,975 Posts
I got a Fox Float R and have done some pretty agressive trail riding with it. I have definitely bottomed it out. I won't go off any jumps more than a tire's height anymore.For Trailriding, the air shock is awesome....Throw in some nasty jumps and drops, and my fat butt uses all of the travel.

Screw the weight. I am thinking about going back to a coil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.