Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across both of these rimis in nashbar.com, and i was wonderinig what was the difference between the ceramic and non ceramic, which is better, which will last longer. They are the same price, about.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Ceramics are better - from someone who hasn't owned 'em

b12yan88 said:
I came across both of these rimis in nashbar.com, and i was wonderinig what was the difference between the ceramic and non ceramic, which is better, which will last longer. They are the same price, about.
The ceramics stand up better to wet and muddy riding, are marginally heavier, and brake better in adverse conditions.

The ceramics will eat brake pads faster and may need to be cleaned a bit more often. The only complaint I've ever heard about ceramics is that the ceramic coating can get chipped.

I don't own ceramics. Now because I'm running discs, but before it was due to the cost. A ceramic rim normally cost twice as much as a normal rim of the same variety. Go to the weight board and page Nino. I'm pretty sure he's running Mavic 517 ceramics on his lightweight bike.

JmZ

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Ii just bought some for 72 dollars for both, thanks. Only complaint ii have is they didn't have black ones that were ceramic

·
Registered
847 Posts
green pads

You'll need to get ceramic compatible pads.
I use Koolstops. Shimano's work too.

With standard pads braking won't be as strong as with ceramic pads and you'll also likely get intense squealing from the pads which will be pretty embaressing on the trail.

b12yan88 said:
Ii just bought some for 72 dollars for both, thanks. Only complaint ii have is they didn't have black ones that were ceramic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts