·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Take a look at these photos....
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

Does this rim look cracked to you?

These are of the same wheel, the lines are on the exact opposite side of the rim from one another. The wheels are DT Swiss x455 rims laced to DT Swiss Onyx hubs with DT spokes. Got the wheels with a new bike late August of '06. I'm a 155lb, reasonably skilled rider and I don't do big drops. These wheels have fewer than 60 rides on them. This should certainly be a warranty issue no?

Edit:

DT Swiss is taking care of me. Very nice CS to work with....

later,
simp

·
Registered
339 Posts
are you riding again? I say make sure its just not a deep scratch or something before u do anything. take the tire and tube off. Best of luck.
Marc

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No riding till my shoulder heals up. Several months from now. Just killing time by doing the deep clean on my bike. Just happened to notice this while cleaning. Should have mentioned this is the front wheel.

later,
simp

·
Registered
339 Posts
hmmm, cracks like that should never happen unless ur doing some major and i mean major hucking. I say warranty issue. Heal up soon man.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iCrashed said:
hmmm, cracks like that should never happen unless ur doing some major and i mean major hucking. I say warranty issue. Heal up soon man.
yeah, thanks man! the heeling juices are flowin. maybe a little too much cuz feeling i'm bit on the foggy side this morning. anyway, i've already got emails out, so the warranty wheels are turning. will let you know the outcome.

cheers,
simp

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ouch!!!

Im in the sae boat as you...just worse. 6months ago I had a reconstructive knee surgery ftertakigna rather hard fallin tacklefootball. Well yesterdy I tweaked it pretty bad in a godamn road race (restart on an uphill in too high of a gear) im looking at a 9month recovery from a surgery.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
iCrashed said:
Im in the sae boat as you...just worse. 6months ago I had a reconstructive knee surgery ftertakigna rather hard fallin tacklefootball. Well yesterdy I tweaked it pretty bad in a godamn road race (restart on an uphill in too high of a gear) im looking at a 9month recovery from a surgery.
And in that meantime you could let me borrow your Forge for 3/4 of the year? lol.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iCrashed said:
hoah! Youch. Sorry to hear that man. That's a real drag. Heal quick!

simp

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update to this thread:

I sent an email to DT-Swiss yesterday. This morning I had a response in my inbox. They are taking care of me. They will be replacing the rim, under warranty and have indicated that it would be 1-2 day turnaround. Very nice.

cheers,
simp

Edit: Should have mentioned, they are lacing the new rim for me as well. Tops:thumbsup: !

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thats GR8

simplton said:
Update to this thread:

I sent an email to DT-Swiss yesterday. This morning I had a response in my inbox. They are taking care of me. They will be replacing the rim, under warranty and have indicated that it would be 1-2 day turnaround. Very nice.

cheers,
simp

Edit: Should have mentioned, they are lacing the new rim for me as well. Tops:thumbsup: !
It seems as if DT CS is very good! And the bad news: you inspired me to rebuild my Giant XTC composite and i removed all the parts from the frame and there is a crack. Yes a crack. It is located where the seatube and the downtube meet. I called up Giant and since the bvike is ~4 yrs old it is out of warranty. Well, i took it to my LBS and they said this shouldnt have happened so they will try and deal with Giant regional. They are a very large dealer and i am a huge customer of theirs so they say the will definitely work something out. From what they say I might get a new frame for a G in which case I would be elated (i would crack the frame just for a deal like that). I know, it was time to replace the frame. Thie old frame will hang on my wall in my livingroom as a testament to 24 24 hr races. RIP giant XTC i will always love you!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iCrashed said:
It seems as if DT CS is very good! And the bad news: you inspired me to rebuild my Giant XTC composite and i removed all the parts from the frame and there is a crack. Yes a crack. It is located where the seatube and the downtube meet. I called up Giant and since the bvike is ~4 yrs old it is out of warranty. Well, i took it to my LBS and they said this shouldnt have happened so they will try and deal with Giant regional. They are a very large dealer and i am a huge customer of theirs so they say the will definitely work something out. From what they say I might get a new frame for a G in which case I would be elated (i would crack the frame just for a deal like that). I know, it was time to replace the frame. Thie old frame will hang on my wall in my livingroom as a testament to 24 24 hr races. RIP giant XTC i will always love you!
No Doubt that's great CS.

So, I'm sorry to hear that about your frame.... I think? :smilewinkgrin: Good deal in disguise maybe?

Don't mean to offend, or start a big debate here, but the whole carbon frame thing still makes leaves me with questions. No doubt it makes a super stiff and light weight frame. And some of those carbon frames are as much art as they are anything else. ie Ibis Mojo. But what happens if you whack it on a rock or something? I mean bang it in a way that'd leave a dent in an AL or steel frame? I'd always be wondering if was gonna bust up on my catastrophically. Granted, this whole thread is testament to the fact that things sometimes "just break". I guess if you can afford to buy a new one when the warranty is up for your current one then it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nah, no offense taken. Granted carbon fiber bikes will be delicate. I knew this bike had a limited lifetime and i did expect it to break withing this time period. I love the preformance of carbon fiber and own 3 CF bikes (or 2) i will definitley be replacing this frame with another CF frame under the conditions my LBS can negotiate. This was expected. The reason i am sad is more of a sentimental reason. The struggles and pain i went through on endurance races on this bike are not decribeable. I love CF and this bike in particular. I will say goodbye to it and welcome in a new CF frame.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roger that. If your LBS will allow it, keep it as a token of your hard work. I'm sure it would work well above a fireplace or decoration in your bar/pool room.

It's too bad they can't design a carbon frame with some sort of "bang indicator". Like a finish that changes color when it's been whacked hard enough to compromise the structural integrity. I agree with you on the ride qualities. Believe it or not I could feel the difference between a set of alloy bars and a set of carbon bars. My '05 Epic came with alloy bars and when I swapped them out with a pair of carbon bars I swear the ride "smoothed out" a bit. My hands and arms felt less fatigued after a good long ride. Amazing. When I got my Titus I moved the bars to that bike. Now, a post crash inspection has revealed a good (and kinda deep) indent wear the rear brake lever was. Needless to say, the bars are being replaced..... Here's some pix:

Hardwood Writing implement Stationery Wood stain Plywood

Brown Metal Grey Composite material Steel

cheers,
simp

·
Registered
339 Posts
My condolences on those beutiful bars. All good things must come to an end (and be replaced by a better thing) im an avid roadie and in the tour de georgia i lost my madone (cf too) to a kid who though he was being cool in a pass attempt. look thankgod i could afford to sink the $$$ into bikes. It is all worth it. I call this my passion!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
iCrashed said:
My condolences on those beutiful bars. All good things must come to an end (and be replaced by a better thing) im an avid roadie and in the tour de georgia i lost my madone (cf too) to a kid who though he was being cool in a pass attempt. look thankgod i could afford to sink the $$$ into bikes. It is all worth it. I call this my passion!
right on man. new bars already on the way. and i agree on the fundage comment. it's funny; i paid top dollar for a bike that i figured would be my last big chunk of change in the sport. (stoooopid me:crazy: ) now i got a case of upgradeitus bad. there's no end. as furtunate as i am to have a good enough job to support my habit, i'm equally as fortunate to have a wife that supports my passion.

sorry to hear about your road bike dude. hope you were able to replace it quickly enough and without a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yea im on a specialized Roubaix Triple. Trek wasnt all too nice about the crash replacement but im back riding. I love roadie as much as mtb but it costs a lot more. Things break. Next year if im recovered i want to ride the tour de france route on my own. I hope ur feeling ok. When ur better ur bike will ride like a dream w/ all these upgrades (and nothing is gonna break for a few months either) this is my potential new cruiser, what do u think http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Fiber-Mo...9QQihZ009QQcategoryZ98083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Roubaix is a very nice bike. Well done.

I'm not sure what to say about that....:eek: It's an oddball to say the least. No specs, no name brand, nada.:eek:

On the other hand, if it's really going to be a crusier and not a roadie or MTB, then what the heck? Just make sure you've come up with some good, creative answers cuz people are gonna ask...:lol:

·
Registered
339 Posts
if i buy it ill set it up as a ss cruiser, major dilema here... should i? what do u think?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.