Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may remember the bikes of the Santa Cruz Syndicate Team....they were using during this year a special modified X0 Trigger with a X0 Short RD and a SRAM RED cassette (Pic 1)

A small spanish company is doing a similar thing but with a GripShift....all the guys that are waiting for the SRAM XX groupset should consider this innovation. Basically, the main improvement is removing the need of using a SRAM XX or Road 10s (with a smaller max cog) RD. Using a Flat-bar shifter is actually not an option WWs and those who like the GripShift

and SRAM haven`t released its 10sp GripShift yet...

Where is the innovation?
They modified a GripShift adding one more gear but with the ability to still work with the X0 RD....much cheaper than buying all the XX groupset

They say that they can study the modification for other RDs

Link:
http://www.blackcatbonebikes.com/bl...adas/2009/12/16_Gripshift_10_velocidades.html

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks like it costs 120 euro's. I'm guessing that doesn't include the shifter itself. This looks like something I'd really be interested in. Now if I could just speak spanish.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Gripshift 10 velocidades

Necesitas un click más para montar tu cassette de 10 velocidades? No lo dudes, si eres tan amante del gripshift como lo somos nosotros, abrirás un nuevo mundo de posibilidades con el 2x10 sin abandonar tus mandos de cambio favoritos. Modificación disponible para SRAM X.0, consúltanos otras alternativas.

10 speed Gripshift

Do you need one more click to install your 10 speed cassette? Don't hesitate, if you love gripshift as much as we do, you will open a new world of oportunities with 2x10 without abandoning your favorite shifters. Modification available for SRAM X.0, ask about other alternatives.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eli, the price only includes the tuning...

I know that it isn't cheap at all but assuming that you already have a SRAM XO+GripShift groupset and you want to upgrade to 10s, there are three options:

Get a SRAM XX RD+XX Triggers (506€ in ChainReactionCyles.com!!)

Road 10s paired with Paul Thumbies or 10s flat-bar shifters....but you are limited to 32t cassetes

BlackCatBone Bikes GripShift tuning....120€

I think that right now is the best way to upgrade to 10s....expensive but much cheaper than the other options

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Epic-o said:
Eli, the price only includes the tuning...

I know that it isn't cheap at all but assuming that you already have a SRAM XO+GripShift groupset and you want to upgrade to 10s, there are three options:

Get a SRAM XX RD+XX Triggers (506€ in ChainReactionCyles.com!!)

Road 10s paired with Paul Thumbies or 10s flat-bar shifters....but you are limited to 32t cassetes

BlackCatBone Bikes GripShift tuning....120€

I think that right now is the best way to upgrade to 10s....expensive but much cheaper than the other options
WRONG !

You don't need a specific derailleur to be able to run 10s ! Every derailleur can do this: Alivio, Deore, LX,XT,XTR...every SRAM as well.

Still nice to see someone has a way to tune grip-shifters to 10s though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nino said:
WRONG !

You don't need a specific derailleur to be able to run 10s ! Every derailleur can do this: Alivio, Deore, LX,XT,XTR...every SRAM as well.

Still nice to see someone has a way to tune grip-shifters to 10s though.
I know....

But you need a heavy flat-bar shifter....not the WW choice at all

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Epic-o said:
I know....

But you need a heavy flat-bar shifter....not the WW choice at all
BUT you can use a MUCH lighter Shimano DA derailleur instead of the heavy XX...my DA is 143g.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nino said:
BUT you can use a MUCH lighter Shimano DA derailleur instead of the heavy XX...my DA is 143g.
BUT the Shimano DA 7900 can´t handle properly 34t cogs...and it wasn´t designed for mountain bike purpose. You say that it is strong enough and I trust you but it´s not the perfect setup

1x10 with Shimano DuraAce 7900....nearly impossible

They say that they can study the modification for other RDs...Shimano XTR or maybe a 2x11 groupset with Campagnolo SuperRecord 11s RD

Great posibilities!!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
DA wont work with a 11-36 cassette though... no?
I used a Da rear derail with a 11-34 cassette on my road bike at a mountain tt.
It worked fine....although everyone said it wouldn't ( just make sure your chain, limit screws and cables are dialed)
Don't know what would happen with mud and dirt or full suspension thrown in, though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So I've contacted the company. It is 120 with you supplying the shifter. 165 euro's including the shifter. So about $236. Steep, but look at how many posts with people complaining about no xx GripShift. Nows your chance

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Epic-o said:
BUT the Shimano DA 7900 can´t handle properly 34t cogs...and it wasn´t designed for mountain bike purpose. You say that it is strong enough and I trust you but it´s not the perfect setup

1x10 with Shimano DuraAce 7900....nearly impossible

They say that they can study the modification for other RDs...Shimano XTR or maybe a 2x11 groupset with Campagnolo SuperRecord 11s RD

Great posibilities!!
DA on a 10s titanium cassette...both items lighter and cheaper than XX and not a single problem.
DA is the same quality than XTR...not a single issue in many,many years i use themThe shorter cages are also much less likely to get caught by brankces or bushes or in a crash.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nino....You are WRONG

ChainReaction prices:

Shimano DuraAce 7900 164gr 135€
Shimano SL-R770 10s 244gr 118€ Total 408gr/253€

SRAM X9 Medium 227gr 67€
SRAM XO BCB Tuned 166gr 165€ Total 393gr/232€

Stronger RD, 15gr less, 21€ cheaper, you can run 11-36 cassetes if you want and you have GripShifts

Paul Thumbies are not an option for the 98% of the riders...and the SEC GripShift that you mounted with your 10s drivetrain can´t be bought...

What do you have to say now?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
nino said:
DA on a 10s titanium cassette...both items lighter and cheaper than XX and not a single problem.
DA is the same quality than XTR...not a single issue in many,many years i use themThe shorter cages are also much less likely to get caught by brankces or bushes or in a crash.
Nino,
what size is that cassete...and is it one of yours?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.