Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode each of these bikes and was impressed with them both. Since this would be my first FS bike, coming from a Ti HT (20 lbs) I am not sure what to expect. I was shying away from the X based on the MB Action article stating the X was much more race orientated than the Racer X however I am not sure what the means. Both bikes share the same geometry, the X being a little lighter and a little more rigid. Does that mean that the X might not be as plush as the Racer X? Is there an issue with durability with one over the other?

FWIW I weigh in at 200 lbs, ride mainly XC, a lot of hill climbing, and not much for technical descents (that might just be a byproduct of riding a HT). Not a true weight weenie but do have fairly light weight components that I would be switching over and I do love the acceleration of a light bike …

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
No, take whatever MBA says with a grain of salt. Ride and be happy.

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Have you thought about an FTM instead?

Climbs like a goat and goes down hill like a Bat out of Hell

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Actually, the ML might fit the bill as well. The ML is a USA made frame that can be run both in 5" or 4" mode and is very versatile. Right now places are moving them pretty cheap, I would give bikerbob and call and see if he can hook you up. Heck, even if you go with the X I would recommend bikerbob.

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
I haven't ridden the X but I have ridden a ML and IMO my Racer X climbs better. We swapped bikes and the other brother said the same. The X seems to climb better and his ML descends better. In our opinion. Both great bikes.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
00sable said:
I haven't ridden the X but I have ridden a ML and IMO my Racer X climbs better. We swapped bikes and the other brother said the same. The X seems to climb better and his ML descends better. In our opinion. Both great bikes.
In what mode? The ML can be run in 4 X 4 mode and should have the same geometry as the Racer X. No?

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
Maybe lighter than ML? Don't know but Buddy and I agree. And again that is just our opinion. My RX was new his ML was 1 year. Could be that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts