Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the oil in my X-vert super (first time in four years!!!!!) and the fork feels like crap. This fork has always worked just great. Super stiff and super plush over small and big stuff! Then I changed the oil and now it feels like I lost small bump sensitivity and it has a general dead feeling to it!

I used motorex (owned by manitou I believe) 5 weight oil, and tripple checked that I had the right amount in there (even confirmed by my wife!) of 3.75 inches. Any suggestions (other than buying a new fork)???? Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
call answer products;

bellullabob said:
Just changed the oil in my X-vert super (first time in four years!!!!!) and the fork feels like crap. This fork has always worked just great. Super stiff and super plush over small and big stuff! Then I changed the oil and now it feels like I lost small bump sensitivity and it has a general dead feeling to it!

I used motorex (owned by manitou I believe) 5 weight oil, and tripple checked that I had the right amount in there (even confirmed by my wife!) of 3.75 inches. Any suggestions (other than buying a new fork)???? Thanks
1-800-423-0273 ;they know the product inside&out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just rebuilt mine last night. I used Maxima 5wt, but highly doubt that is the problem. Did you put lots of Prep-M on the stanchions, inner shafts (lower portion) and some grease on the spring/elastomers? All of these parts can increase the stiction in the fork and reduce the plush feel we've come to know and love.

One other thing I can think of, with respect to oil level. Depending on how well you cleaned and dried the pistons in the oil chamber, the level may not be correct. Cycle the shock a few times to purge any air bubbles trapped below the lower piston, and then re-check the oil level. Be sure to measure from the top of the crown, not the bottom of the threads, and the level should be between 3 and 3.25 inches, so the 3.75 you measured is keeping the top piston from being fully submerged in the oil. Manitou recommends 3.125 inches from the top of the crown to the oil level. A spoke with some tape works well for measuring, and a straw for adding/removing oil to hit the right level helps.

Try it with 3.125 inches and let me know if this fixes the problem.

BL

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
BikeLust said:
I just rebuilt mine last night. I used Maxima 5wt, but highly doubt that is the problem. Did you put lots of Prep-M on the stanchions, inner shafts (lower portion) and some grease on the spring/elastomers? All of these parts can increase the stiction in the fork and reduce the plush feel we've come to know and love.

One other thing I can think of, with respect to oil level. Depending on how well you cleaned and dried the pistons in the oil chamber, the level may not be correct. Cycle the shock a few times to purge any air bubbles trapped below the lower piston, and then re-check the oil level. Be sure to measure from the top of the crown, not the bottom of the threads, and the level should be between 3 and 3.25 inches, so the 3.75 you measured is keeping the top piston from being fully submerged in the oil. Manitou recommends 3.125 inches from the top of the crown to the oil level. A spoke with some tape works well for measuring, and a straw for adding/removing oil to hit the right level helps.

Try it with 3.125 inches and let me know if this fixes the problem.

BL
Are you sure? I thought that was a typo posted early on, and 3.75" is the correct oil height for a 105mm Xvert. That's what's in the current online manual. My fork gets exactly full travel, running between 3.5" and 4" oil height. If his oil is too low it shouldn't limit travel anyway (might pogo but that wasn't his problem).

Bellullabob - if all you did is change the oil, maybe it's worth removing the lowers, and cleaning out all the old grease and junk. I've heard of folks with poorly working xverts that were full of gunk in the lowers.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fsrxc said:
Are you sure? I thought that was a typo posted early on, and 3.75" is the correct oil height for a 105mm Xvert. That's what's in the current online manual. My fork gets exactly full travel, running between 3.5" and 4" oil height. If his oil is too low it shouldn't limit travel anyway (might pogo but that wasn't his problem).

Bellullabob - if all you did is change the oil, maybe it's worth removing the lowers, and cleaning out all the old grease and junk. I've heard of folks with poorly working xverts that were full of gunk in the lowers.
I ended up just trying to ride with the dead feeling and see if it would improve. Soon the fork, with a few squirts of M-prep, was back to full working order. I had been thinking about buying a new fork cause the x-vert looks wise is starting to show some age, but as I have tried a few of my friends newer forks (minute 2 and Skareb), I am just amazed at how good the X-vert still feels...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.