Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct to assume that the Race Face X-type crank & BB system will install OK on an EBB frame?

Also, does Race Face make a SS specific X-type crankset yet? For some reason I can't bring up their web site at the moment or I would have looked there before asking.

Russ

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
I don't know why they wouldn't work on a EBB frame - I'm running the Shimano XTR on my EBB frame and the external bearing are no problem....

I think the closest I know of to a SS crankset they have is either the Diabolus or Evolve DH - both of those have a outer bash ring option and you could just ditch the granny ring. Still not a SS Specific middle ring though - may need to replace that also if you want. But I know of no SS specific SS cranks...

FF

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool

aosty said:
It'll work fine.

You can get the cranks without rings and pick your own ring.
That's kind of what I thought, just buy the cranks and get the prefered ring. I didn't think that the external bearings would be a problem but I don't recall hearing (or seeing) anyone installing these cranks on an EBB. Anyone with pics?

Thanks!

Russ

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
onepivot said:
That's kind of what I thought, just buy the cranks and get the prefered ring. I didn't think that the external bearings would be a problem but I don't recall hearing (or seeing) anyone installing these cranks on an EBB. Anyone with pics?
No pix but I have installed and seen it done numerous times.

·
Registered
354 Posts
possible problems

onepivot said:
Am I correct to assume that the Race Face X-type crank & BB system will install OK on an EBB frame?

Also, does Race Face make a SS specific X-type crankset yet? For some reason I can't bring up their web site at the moment or I would have looked there before asking.

Russ
I have a friend who tried to put a new XT crank on a 1fg and ended up having some trouble with tensioning the chain, cause the ebb bolts on the 1fg are side of the ebb shell, instead of on the bottom of the shell. not sure what ebb type the 1fg has, but if the ebb bolts are on the bottom of the bb shell you shouldn't have any problems. My friend ended up putting the octalink fsa carbon crank from his geared cannondale on the 1fg and the new xt crank on the geared ride.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Race Face Evolve SS specific

onepivot said:

Russ
Here is an external x-type setup from Race Face based on the Evolve platform for SS.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/CR8199

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you want to go High End...

If you want to go with the high end Race Face X type set up, Speedgoat has a Race Face Deus XC single speed set ready to go.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=107305&cat=110&brand=199

BTW, I've had a set of Truvativ Stylo GXP cranks on my Salsa Juan Solo for about a month without any problems. I understand the Race Face integrated BB setup is a little different than Shimano and Truvativ. Bob

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
XCBob said:
If you want to go with the high end Race Face X type set up, Speedgoat has a Race Face Deus XC single speed set ready to go.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=107305&cat=110&brand=199

BTW, I've had a set of Truvativ Stylo GXP cranks on my Salsa Juan Solo for about a month without any problems. I understand the Race Face integrated BB setup is a little different than Shimano and Truvativ. Bob
that is a pretty cool setup.

or you can always try to find a good dealer who will "credit" you the rings that come with the triple crankset and will get you a SS specific ring. I actually was torn between the ENO and Atlas crankset and the Atlas with the SS ring was actually going to cost me less than the crankset and triple rings to begin with. As much as I love Race Face stuff, I ended up going with the ENO and Phil Wood BB to match the frame.

cheers

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
onepivot said:

Russ
RaceFace Atlas cranks/bearings on my Jericho with no problems at all. Way easier system than my old XTR spiderless arms.

b.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.