Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After about 3 and a half years of dreaming and waffling, am picking up my first CC frameset tomorrow! I am so excited...

I'm planning on going for a neo-retro build using mostly XT 73x series parts - including cranks. These cranks use a 122.5mm BB to get a 47.5mm chainline.

BUT I want to run my bike as a 1x8 or SS using road wheels....I already have a fixed/free 130mm Surly road hub and a standard road rear wheel with an XT 8sp casette.

If I use a 118mm BB will I get an acceptable chainline? I'm assuming the standard 122.5mm BB will place the crank out too far...

Should I just get a road crank? I'm on a budget AND I have a softspot for the old-skool MTB parts...I searched and found plenty of other CC drivetrain threads, but nothing addressed THIS particular situation.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So...

...I guess I'll answer my own question...

115mm BB gave a perfect chainline with the road hub, and using the crank as a double rather than a triple (ditched the lil' ring.).

Thanks for playin'

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.