Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the last 48 hrs. trying to recover from both of my races. I did the CAT 5, Age 40+ Plus road race. This was only my third road race and it was fun for me to do the race and not be nearly as nervous as I get doing the mountain bike races. My strategy for this race was very simple: stay out of the wind and make sure that I was right up front when we hit the final climb home. After we did our last lap, the pace started to pick and I moved up with the leaders of the race. I noticed that we were about to end our last lap and head up the final climb and I moved right into second place. As the climb started I noticed that there was hardly anybody around me except for 2 – 3 other guys and the pace started to pick up and up to feverish race pace! At this point I was really starting to worry that I couldn’t hold my pace and was expecting a swarm of riders to come around me and pass me at any minute. The further we went up the climb the harder my breathing became, the more my legs started to ache, and I thought for sure I was going to get dropped and not get in the top ten, which is what we needed to get on the podium. A couple of more riders went by and I realized that I was in about 4th or 5th place and then I saw the sign “200 meters to go” and could see the finish line. The last part of this climb Really steep. At this point, my breathing was through the roof, I was starting to see stars, but I knew it was now or never and I did not want to have any regrets that I didn’t go hard enough on the climb to get on the podium and I knew that I was in a position to do so. I decided to go to a harder gear and stand up and go as hard as I could and do something that resembles a sprint to the finish line. I crossed the line, my teamate Terry was there and told me I did a good job and I was pretty sure that I was in 7th or 8th place and I just fell to the ground exhausted and knew that I left absolutely nothing on the race course; it was the hardest I had ever gone in any bike race I have ever done in four years. It turns out I got 7th place and got on the podium and was real excited about that.

For the mountain bike race on Sunday, I knew I had virtually no chance of getting on the podium because the field was so packed with riders that were much faster & Experienced racing with me in the Expert 45 – 49 Class. My main goal was to finish the race strong and hopefully place somewhere in the middle. In the Expert Class we get to do two laps of the Sea Otter race course, which is approximately 40 miles and 5,000 feet of climbing! I decided not to go out real hard at the beginning and to go at a nice, steady, strong pace for the entire race. To make a long story short, this worked fantastic for me. In comparison to last year where I went out hard and everyone was passing me, this time I went out easy and spent the entire 40 miles picking off other riders throughout the course. I ended up with a time of 3 hrs. 6 mins., which was 15 mins behind the winner in my class. In comparison to last year where I was 35 mins behind the winner in my class. My placing was 11th out of 30 riders, almost in the top third and better then I expected.
Podium pic from the road race, me on the left

Attachments

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Stud!

Those are both very impressive finishes. Nice work, man. See, no need to get all of those jitters.
FA

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jitters

free-agent said:
Those are both very impressive finishes. Nice work, man. See, no need to get all of those jitters.
FA
Speaking of the Jitters....It was great to do the road race first and do well in that race. I figured I got my medal whatever happens in the next race is no big deal. I was pretty calm for the MTB race.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.