Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started a similiar thread about this in the Drivetrain forum, but I don't think that many people use that forum.

Where should I start. Well, I just bought the bike ('04 GF Tassajara) brand new from the bike shop and I have only had the bike about 3 weeks. I haven’t done any trail riding because it is way too muddy here in Upstate NY. I have only been going up and down the road trying to build my stamina. I thought that I had a problem with my bike shifting and I noticed this feeling like my chain was slipping or skipping. I thought that it was a problem with my derailleurs. I took the bike into the shop and asked them to fix the problem. They said they adjusted the derailleurs, but when I got the bike home I was still having the same problems (I probably should have taken a test ride before I left the shop). I decided to try to fix it myself. How hard could it be? I adjusted my derailleurs slightly and got the shifting to be more smooth (probably as smooth as I can get it). That didn’t solve the problem entirely though. Upon closer inspection I noticed that no matter what chainring I put the chain on when I shift through the gears in the rear I notice that when the chain gets to the 3rd or 4th cog the chain doesn’t seat onto the cog and seems to ride on the teeth of the cog. This is what I think is causing the slipping/skipping. Now I am no expert but I would like to be able to work on my own bike, because there isn’t always going to be a shop tech on the trails when I need him/her and my local bike shop doesn't seem to be entirely reliable. I have tried everything. If you have any suggestions please let me know, any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm by no means as good as a lot of the people here, but I built my GF Sugar 2+disc from the frame up and do all my own wrenching. I've had a couple of issues with shifting. The only things I can think of, are that something is not lined up correctly. That's why you get good shifts at one end of the cassette, but not at the other. I've seen bent derailleurs cause this, but I doubt (hope) that not your issue since your bike is new. My first suggestion is to loosen the rear wheel and re-seat it in the drop outs and make sure it's properly tightened. You might also want to loosen and retighten the derailleur in the hanger. This is just to make sure it isn't cross threaded. If have something that you know is dead straight, you can check tha hanger to make sure they didn't bend it when building the bike or when it sat in the rack for sale, getting bumped into other bikes (if it was in a rack). I use a "true bar" that I use to tune my skis.

One way to make sure the rear wheel is seated properly is to measure the *exact* distance to the wheel from the seat stay or chain stay on both sides, and make sure both distances are equal.

That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
First, I applaud you for wanting to learn to do it yourself. As you said, there will not always be a mechanic on the trail, so it pays to be self-sufficient.

That said, it is a brand new bike and you should demand (politely) that the shop gets it working right, or they should replace the bike. That's my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.