Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took just a week to get my new Free polished frame. Unfortunately 1.5's are no longer an option...so I got the 1 1/8" HT (no problem since I will be running 888's).

Anyway, When holding the frame up, it seems so SMALL!
I don't see a sticker with the size "M"...only a tag that is attached.

When measuring the Top Tube...I should be measuring horizontally from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat tube...correct? I believe 23.2" on the site. The diagram shows a horizontal line (as opposed to ACTUAL TT with curve).

If my horizontal measurement is 22 and change, does it mean that I got a small by mistake?

I'm 6 feet tall and ordered a medium based on the SC website, and feedback from MTBR.
Plus it will be used for DH, not XC.

Please assure me medium is the way to go!!

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can tell that it's a med, by the seat mast support. It should be fine. I belive they measure a virtual toptube length. So with the axels level on the bike you would come horizontal back from the middle of the headtube. to the seatpost.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
either way, it looks pretty spanking polished, great looking frame....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
virtual TT

D-line said:
I can tell that it's a med, by the seat mast support. It should be fine. I belive they measure a virtual toptube length. So with the axels level on the bike you would come horizontal back from the middle of the headtube. to the seatpost.
interesting...I have never heard of the virtual measurement before. Is the seat mast support only found on mediums?
I'm concerned because the diagram shows the horizontal measurement (aka effective TT) is 23.2".

A value of 23.2" horizontal would in fact mean the frame has a longer ACTUAL TT in that there is a bend.

I hope you are right in that I should be fine. I would hate to build her up and have to sell it for a Large.

I'm hoping all you Medium riders chime in with your comments.....

thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm 178cm tall (6ft = 182cm) and my Vp-free is size S. For DH and freeride it fits me perfect. Before I bought my frame, I tested my friends M-size free, and it was too big. So atleast the M size is big enough for you.

The actual TT lenght on my free is about 21" and the effective TT is a bit over 22".

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
freeriderB said:
interesting...I have never heard of the virtual measurement before. Is the seat mast support only found on mediums?
I'm concerned because the diagram shows the horizontal measurement (aka effective TT) is 23.2".

A value of 23.2" horizontal would in fact mean the frame has a longer ACTUAL TT in that there is a bend.
Effective TT is almost always longer than actual TT because it's between the top of the head tube and the seat post a ways up from the top of the seat tube. Measuring this on a unbuilt frame is a bit tough.

Just measure the seat tube (center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube). Mediums are probably something like 17" and smalls are probably around 15". Check the SC site, those are guesses.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sag and seat tube angle?

cribe said:
I'm 178cm tall (6ft = 182cm) and my Vp-free is size S. For DH and freeride it fits me perfect. Before I bought my frame, I tested my friends M-size free, and it was too big. So atleast the M size is big enough for you.

The actual TT lenght on my free is about 21" and the effective TT is a bit over 22".
thanks for the info...I feel a little better (just a little)....

Will the required amount of sag and seat tube angle make the cockpit feel "roomier?"
I'm just thinking as you sit on the bike it will sink into the "sag", and because of the line of travel, make the TT feel longer.....

I'm stretchin' here....any merit to my ramblings?

·
Registered
552 Posts
my 06 Free is a med and the top tube measured from center to center is right under 22.5 inches. Hope this helps. Oh and when I bought my Free, I had a white sticker on the headtude in the shape of a circle that had a "M" in the middle of it.
Also are you concerned that you picked up an older Free? Remember, the 07 Frees have the ISCG chain guide mounts. But I haven't heard about them changing their minds on the 1.5 HT..... are you sure about that? Where did you buy your frame from?

Oh, and I am 5'10 and I love how my frame feels

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iscg

stylie said:
my 06 Free is a med and the top tube measured from center to center is right under 22.5 inches. Hope this helps. Oh and when I bought my Free, I had a white sticker on the headtude in the shape of a circle that had a "M" in the middle of it.
Also are you concerned that you picked up an older Free? Remember, the 07 Frees have the ISCG chain guide mounts. But I haven't heard about them changing their minds on the 1.5 HT..... are you sure about that? Where did you buy your frame from?

Oh, and I am 5'10 and I love how my frame feels
I'm going to check the frame for the chain guide mounts right now.

I knew the 1.5 was unavailable after numerous emails to SC. Seems that production changes are putting a halt to it. However, I just read a post yesterday that someone ordered a 1.5 that will take a month for delivery...so who knows what the real story is there.......
I bought the frame through an SC dealer brand new. The shop actually spoke to the same rep that I was emailing.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no ISCG mounts...

stylie said:
were you told that you were getting an 07? What's the story with the mounts?
no mounts so I guess I got a "left over" model.

I did however, see an "M" sticker on the BB. At least I know it's not a small now.

The guides don't bother me in that I know SC doesn't believe in the "model year." Whatever they have they want to sell. I'll just buy the appropriate guide.

I knew I was not getting the 1.5 though. They said they had 1 small left in the 1.5...that's it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ISCG adaptors

cribe said:
The only thing I can say is that a L-size frame is way too big for you. I think medium is perfect for your height.

I run a e.13 SRS guide on my free. They come with ISCG adapters.
do you have the tabs on your frame?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
freeriderB said:
I still would like to hear from other 6 footers running mediums......

Anyone know which chain guide I CAN use on this frame??
Seems all of them state ISCG.......
nice looking...love the polish look....good luck on that size

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.