Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Blur cracked I got a Heckler nin Trans Red instead. The color is very nice, especialy on the welds, where it's kind of transparent.
Just got my new Maverick fork from Larry and some Hope Mono M4 brakes.

It weigh only 10.8kg, so might be the ligtest Heckler to date. I will use it for XC and trail riding and some trips to the Alps.

I have only ridden it once with the Maverick, but can say that it's noticible stiffer than my Fox F100X fork and when you lock down the Maverick to 100mm, it feels just like climbing with the Fox. If you climb standing in the 150mm mode, it will bob about 6cm, but if you stay seated, it won't bob that much. I'm very impresses with what the fork can do. Deep holes that I wouldn't ride before are easy to ride over now and the bike feels as fast as it did with the Fox. The steering is also much more neutral now. You sit a bit more upright with the Maverick. I can feel that it's easier to breathe now.
I used a 120mm stem with the Fox and now I use the 105mm Maverick stem and it feels like the same. I think Maverick should mention this issue on their website or correct the stem lenght, so it's comparable with a standard stem.
There was only one problem with the fork. I had to grind a bit off the disc brake mount on the fork, to fit the caliber. You might be abler to see it on the picture. I don't know if it's Maverick og Hope that have made a mistake here, but it shuold be corrected.

On the Blur I used the Formula B4sl brakes. I'm happy about changing to the Hope's, they just got much more power and are just as easy to modulate. The quality is superb.

I just changed from Michelin Comp S light tires to Hutchinson Python Air lights. It's been over 2 years since I last rode these tires and had forgotten how good they are. The roll cracy and grips good when cornering. The extra tall profile also gives some more comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Sharp lookin' rig Anders.
How's the fork treating you so far?

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fork is very good. It's even more active than my Fox and much stiffer. As said I have only ridden it once, so it can only get better. I love the anodised finish on the fork, it matches the other components much better than a painted one.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
That's beautiful... I'm jealous. that's lighter than my Blur! While the tubless kit sealed, it was at 25.5lbs, but now temporarily back to heavy tubes which sets me at 27lbs.. It's not 100% yet, I'm running a HEAVY borrowed wheelset, and I hope when I get my "dream" wheel set and a couple of other componets it'll settle in at 24.5lbs. Have you put together a detailed list of your components yet?

PS, how do you like the 5th air on that bike? What pressures, etc..?

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run it at 125psi main and 90psi in the CVT chamber. I thing I will lower the main chamber a bit. I weigh 87kg.

Here are the specs:
Frame Santacruz Heckler, large, Trans Red
Shock Progressive Supsension 5th Element Air (250g)
Seat clamp Extralite Ultra Clamp 34,9mm
Fork Maverick American DUC32
Front hub Maverick American 24mm
Rear hub Hügi 240 disc
Headset Extralite Free Head
Spokes DT Revolution black 2.0/1.5/2.0 262mm
Nipples DT Aluminium
Rims Stans rims (363/365)
Quick releases Heylight zeitfahre spanner (only rear)
Tubes Michelin C4 latex
Tires Hutchinson Python Air light
Shifters SRAM X.O. with innercables with 2pcs. M4x30 Al bolts
Rear deraillure SRAM X.O. long cage
Front deraillure Shimano XTR FD-M960 with 1pcs. M5x10 Al bolt, 1 pcs. M5x15 Al bolt
Cables Nokon aluminium
Brakes Hope Mono M4 (180/160)
Sproket Shimano XT (11-32) with XTR lockring
Chain SRAM PC-99
Chainrings Boone Ti chain rings (42/29)
Chainring bolts FSA T-30 aluminium
Crank Storck Powerarms Pro
BB FSA Platinum Pro Ti (113/68)
Pedals Crank Brothers triple ti egg beater with 2pcs. M5 Al nuts
Bottlecage Tune with 2pcs. M5x15 Al bolts
Saddel Tune Speedneedle Marathon
Saddelpost Extralite Ultra Post (360/30.9)
Stem Maverick American 105mm
Bar Extralite The Bar UL
Grips Ritchey WCS foam cut
Bar ends No name shaved and drilled with 2pcs. M6x16 Al bolts
Chainstay protector Rubber with zipties

The 10.8kg might be a bit optimistic. I will have the precise weight soon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Admittedly a little off topic, but I am asking 'cos I'm looking for forks for my new Heckler (once the Ano ones finally get delivered to the UK)... With the Mavericks, they can be reduced on the fly from 150mm to 100mm but does that make the fork 50mm (or so) shorter? With my current forks, RS Psylos, the U-Turn affect the travel and length, which I find rather handy for helping to tame the wandering front end nature of my Cove.

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it lowers the fork. But you have to concider that you are running the fork with about 30-40mm of sag, so it will only feel like you have lowered it 10-20mm. It's great for climbing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts