Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this thread here because I'm trying to find out if there is anything like this place a little closer to home.

My buddy is graduating from The Citadel in May and I'm wondering if the extra drive up to Snowshoe mountain is worth it. I'm not sure if there is anything closer to Charleston, snowshoe is just one of the places that I've heard of before and it sounds like a pretty good "park". Basically I'm gonna have to drive ~1000 miles round trip to go riding there so I'm not totally sold on the idea, but a roadtrip to start the summer doesn't sound like that bad of an idea.

I live in florida so I really wanna experience riding with actual elevation change, and long descents. I guess my riding would be considered aggressive xc or "all mountain", but I'm really interested in trying some downhill type stuff to see what it's all about. I ride a kona dawg so I'm not sure if my bike is up for downhill riding, but I guess I could rent too.

Also, any suggestions any good riding closer to the S.C. border?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would recommend Pisgah/Dupont/Tsali NC. I have ridden the snowshoe area and it has some great trails but they are all comparable to NC. Snowshoe has some longer downhills but then again its a long bike back up if you don't take the shuttle at the resort. There are aslo some good trail up behind the Elk River touring center. If you go to snowhsoe stay at Elk River (bunkhouse) if you don't planning on camping.

Pisgah and Dupon would cut a good 6 hrs off you trip. It would take about 4 hrs to get there from Charleston. Check out the NC thread and you will see plenty on the NC trails.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good call on Pisgah/Dupont riding. I made it out there on monday and tuesday and it was incredible. I rode the black mountain loop suggested on mtbikewnc.com and just about killed myself getting to the top, downhill however was definately worth it. Dupont was amazing too, with a bit more friendly climbing but with the same awesome technical downhill sections.

I'm gonna post more details of the ride once I get some photos developed. Thanks for the reccomendations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.