Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the 'What bike should i buy' forum but haven't gotten a whole lot of responses yet... so i appologize if this is the wrong place for such a post (I am somewhat new on this site).

Anyway... I am looking at the below hardtail. Is $1,800 a good deal? It is a 2002 i believe.

Total specs:

Frame: Dean Scout titanium hardtail, "large" per Dean sizing. Full frame specs at Dean's website.
Fork: Manitou Skareb Elite, 100mm fixed travel, air spring, disc & V-brake mounts
Headset: 1 1/8" threadless WTB Momentum, cartridge bearing
Stem: Easton EA50, 0 x 110mm, 2-bolt faceplate
Handlebar: Easton EA70, 3 degree bend
Grips: Yeti
Brake levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
Shifters: Shimano XT 9-spd
Seatpost: Easton EA50, uncut (I think it's 350mm, not sure)
Seat: WTB SST K (kevlar corners)
Seat binder: collar + bolt
Brakes: Avid SD7 V-brakes, Avid brake pads w/ removable/replacable cartridges.
Derailleurs: Shimano XT 9-spd
Cassette: Shimano XT, 12-32 (I think -- might be 12-34, but I'm pretty sure it's 12-32)
Chain: SRAM PC58 w/ powerlink (I think -- might be PC59, but definitely SRAM)
Wheels: 26" Bontrager Race X Lite UST-ready rims, DT 15/17 spokes, DT 240 cartridge hubs (relabeled for Bontrager), radial lace front, 2X rear (I think -- may be 3X), Bontrager skewers
Tires: IRC Serac XC 26x2.1 tubeless, with some Stan's sealant in there too
Cranks: Truvativ Stylo, ISIS, Truvativ chainrings
Bottom bracket: Race Face ISIS, can't remember which model

Misc: Lizard Skins chainstay protector, spiffy water bottle cage, Wellgo-type clipless pedals. I'd probably keep the pedals & cage off the bike, unless you really want them.

I haven't weighed the whole bike recently, but before those wheels, it was low-23lb. The wheels are new from last year, and very very light. There are no dents, dings, or cracks anywhere. Only very minor scratches on some of the frame and handlebar. The wearable parts are all in good shape: brake pads & chain were replaced last year, and I keep my bikes clean, so the chainrings and cassette are in great shape. It's all ready to go, nothing needs any work or adjustment.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Overpriced IMHO.
yep, I agree.
not much dean action on ebay on the completed auction search, but 2 of their similar vintage softails sold for ~$1200 w/ decent spec on 'em... to give you an idea of going rate... and there's one in the mtbr classifieds for a lot less than the one you posted (not mine) and seems a fair price.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
$1800 for a 5 year old bike with mostly mid level components, i say not a good deal. I assume that all the components are about 5 years old as well. Isis cranks are pretty much being phased out because they suck, new cranks will cost $150+. If you want the bike i'd try to get the seller to come down a few hundred $$$. And your not gonna have a warranty, if the frame would break your sunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.