Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Epicrider said:
I spent the last hour or so putting together trail map from various sources with the route of of the Quad bypass in Yellow. Looks like 31 miles and 5800 of climbing......it's going to be a long day! :eekster:

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=5

I may only make it to the end of Sunrise, which will give be 17 miles of trail + 10 miles of road and 4000' of climbing. That's a whole lot of climbing in that distance.
Dale, you are the best!!! I can finally put this beast into perspective and it's good to know the stats on the possible Sunrise bail. Thanks for taking the time. Now though we need your tracks on that map...

Walt - I'll be picking up Jim W (if he's kicked his cold by tomorrow AM) on the way over from Ahwatukee so add one more to the list!!

·
Happy trails
437 Posts
you know that this is my department...

be at the tail end of the group and if I'm too far behind, it may be best if I go that route. Haven't been able to get out a whole lot so I may be lacking in the endurance dept. We'll see...;)[/QUOTE]

you'll make it past sunrise no problem.you gotta do it if you want to see the lunch break spread pat brings to the trail head.it's amazing how a good rest stop and eat's boost your spirits for next leg of the journey.aftet that you can still bail down the backside of bell pass,and that's closer to the cars than leaving at sunrise.

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Bringing out the new bike

I was leaning towards taking my NRS on this ride, primarily because it's such a good climber. But...Landis *still* has my NRS in for service (been 13 days now!!) so I have no choice but to show up with the MotoLite. That means I'm gonna be a bit slower on the climbs and a bit faster on the downhills, especially Bell Pass. And my ass might not be happy as the saddle on the MotoLite is a bit too wide for me.

Hopefully I have all of the mechanical issues shaken out of the ML. New bikes always make me nervous on long rides like this.

See you all tomorrow. This should be fun.

Thx...Doug

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Housekeeping...

A few things...
- When you get to Basha's at Bell and Thompson Peak, park at the east end of the lot. It's kind of a separate lot and won't get in their way.
- I printed up a bunch of copies of Dale's map - in color, too!
- I was out there today for a quick ride and the trails are just in great shape. Nice and firm and tacky; none of that loose, dusty stuff we're so accustomed to. Should be fast for the downhills for those that are so inclined (so to speak)
- Looks like high-40's for the launch and up to the mid-60's later in the day, with partly sunny skies. Sounds perfect.

In terms of pace, we'll obviously string way out depending on the rider. It would be nice to rally at various points (top of Windgate, top of Bell, Paradise, Taliesin Overlook, etc.) so we stay generally together as we move along. Plus, in order to enjoy the snacks at Golden Eagle, you'll be waiting on Pat, so you don't want to get too far ahead. And we want to look out for one another. But, it's up to each of you...

Please remember that we're a large group of moutain bikers and that can be very intimidating, particularly when thundering downhill. Windgate and Bell will likely have few hikers and maybe a couple of runners, but Lost Dog and Sunrise will be much busier. Not to patronize the group, but be courteous and on your best multi-use trail behavior. I think the biggest spot to watch out for will be going down the east side of Sunrise into Hidden Hills. Don't bomb it when you can't see what's ahead of you.

Once again, this group ride is not sanctioned or sponsored by anyone or anything - we're just a bunch of individuals hooking up to ride together using this forum as a means to communicate. Like any of the other group rides we post and do.

See ya tomorrow...time for pasta and watching "The Guardian"

Walt

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
I am soooooo proud of Kathleen (DurtGurl)!!! She was the only chick to complete the whole Quadruple Bypass today! Also to the guys that completed it too...but I'm partial. ;)

I bailed after the double with about 8 or 10 others. Just wasn't cuttin' it on a heavier bike. :rolleyes: Lighter next time! ;) I didn't want the rest of the wrecking crew to have to stop there so they continued on and I drove over to the Sunrise DH TH and picking them up there.

This was a major effort and all that made the whole ride are phenomenal riders! The Double was rough, the Triple was even more so, but the Quad must've been really painful.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
su.ling~ said:
I am soooooo proud of Kathleen (DurtGurl)!!! She was the only chick to complete the whole Quadruple Bypass today! Also to the guys that completed it too...but I'm partial. ;)

I bailed after the double with about 8 or 10 others. Just wasn't cuttin' it on a heavier bike. :rolleyes: Lighter next time! ;) I didn't want the rest of the wrecking crew to have to stop there so they continued on and I drove over to the Sunrise DH TH and picking them up there.

This was a major effort and all that made the whole ride are phenomenal riders! The Double was rough, the Triple was even more so, but the Quad must've been really painful.
Yes Kathleen RULES!
This was the longest mbt ride with the most climbing I have ever done. I wasn't sure I had it in me. What a kick a** ride. Thanks to walt for pulling it together and thanks to Pat for hooking up the chuckwagon. Gatoraide and food was definitely needed at that point.
this was an awesome day, with beautiful views and great people to ride with. Now I am going to pass out on the couch.
sorry no photos. I forgot my stupid memory card :madman: . I was working way to hard to take many photos anyway.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Elements of a perfect day:

hot tub dip to tame the bedhead and prepare the bod. easy drive to easy starting point. primo trail conditions. good like-minded people to share the adventure. tuna wraps. perpetuem in the water bottle. a ride planner with a big heart and big smile. beautiful day with perfect temps. two Advil from Nardo. final descent swoops you back to the parking lot. Las Taquitas burrito. 1554. hot tub soak to ease the sore muscles.

Thanks to Walt for organizing, to Pat for the mid-ride refreshments, and to all who rode. What a spectacular day.

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Two out of four ain't bad...

To Walt and his '37 member Entourage' -

Thanks for the great ride today and thanks for waiting after I got two flats at the bottom of Bell Pass Trail. I only did a 'Double' (Bell and Sunrise), but I was wasted by the finish once again - 22.05 miles and over 4500 ft of climbing (Motionbased Stats).

And a HUGE tip of the helmet to all that had the legs to finish the Quad - "Well Done!"

Here's a few pics that I got to snap BEFORE I was bringing up the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome job to everyone who rode yesterday, that was a tough ride!! Walt, thanks for organizing! I love the pictures...especially the one of Dave and I holding the the Coors can!

Did anyone get the elevation gain for the entire ride...i can't get my GPS to sync to my computer?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.