Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
damn r, sounds like ya got everything right but obviously theres a glitch in there somewhere. bad oil? was the container sealed or open when ya got it? thinkin theres airiation in there somehow. i seem to recall those cartriges needin to be filled while submerged but in mot sure. anyone?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cactuscorn said:
damn r, sounds like ya got everything right but obviously theres a glitch in there somewhere. bad oil? was the container sealed or open when ya got it? thinkin theres airiation in there somehow. i seem to recall those cartriges needin to be filled while submerged but in mot sure. anyone?
The TST cart is kinda funky how you refill it with the bladder but I'm pretty sure I did it correctly, it works fine. I'm wondering if it's something in the seals or wipers, do the wipers need to be cleaned/greased?, the manual says nada.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
...the knocking sound is air in the TST cart. Where did you get the proper method for bleeding/ refilling the cart? There are several crucial steps in the process that must be followed exactly.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jncarpenter said:
...the knocking sound is air in the TST cart. Where did you get the proper method for bleeding/ refilling the cart? There are several crucial steps in the process that must be followed exactly.
JNC- here's what I used to change the oil in the TST cart, it locks out and seems to work fine but I think your right about the clunking noise coming from the TST cart.

http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/tst bleed.pdf

I used the 160mm measurement, should I compress the rod more to get more oil into the bladder before refilling it??

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
rroeder said:
JNC- here's what I used to change the oil in the TST cart, it locks out and seems to work fine but I think your right about the clunking noise coming from the TST cart.

http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/tst%20bleed.pdf

I used the 160mm measurement, should I compress the rod more to get more oil into the bladder before refilling it??
...isn't yours the marathon? Is it the 8mm or 10mm shaft?

A couple guidelines (the instructions are accurate, but sometimes it is hard to do without seeing it first):

-make sure the TST knob is set in the full open position before disassembly
-slowly cycle the damper rod while filling the cart & continue cycling for a bit AFTER the bubbles stop forming. Make sure there is no air!
-make sure damper rod is fully out when you begin filling
-make sure you roll the oring down the bladder & try to trap as much oil beneath it to guarantee a decent amount of oil separating the bladder from the cart

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It does have the 8mm shaft, it's the Marathon XC. I'm beginning to think I did not get all the air out during refill, or when I installed the compression valve assembly some air got trapped but how do you prevent that?? I filled it to the top of the cart and fluid oozed out everywhere, it's a freakin messy job for sure.

edit: JNC- saw your post on the original thread and it definitely has air then. I will redo the cart. and try and be careful to get all the air out, I'm wondering if air is getting trapped in the bladder but not sure how to get it out before refilling the cart.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
rroeder said:
It does have the 8mm shaft, it's the Marathon XC. I'm beginning to think I did not get all the air out during refill, or when I installed the compression valve assembly some air got trapped but how do you prevent that?? I filled it to the top of the cart and fluid oozed out everywhere, it's a freakin messy job for sure.

edit: JNC- saw your post on the original thread and it definitely has air then. I will redo the cart. and try and be careful to get all the air out, I'm wondering if air is getting trapped in the bladder but not sure how to get it out before refilling the cart.
X-post:

there shouldn't be any air available to get into the bladder if you take your time during the filling process. Cycle the rod constantly & pour a bit of fluid & wait a few seconds...continue to pour a little more, etc. Take your time while filling it & keep cycling the damper. Also wait a minute before you close it up the first time to allow any bubbles a chance to work their way out.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jncarpenter said:
X-post:

there shouldn't be any air available to get into the bladder if you take your time during the filling process. Cycle the rod constantly & pour a bit of fluid & wait a few seconds...continue to pour a little more, etc. Take your time while filling it & keep cycling the damper. Also wait a minute before you close it up the first time to allow any bubbles a chance to work their way out.
Thanks JNC, I'm gonna redo it later today and I will post how it comes out. I've done it twice now following the directions and both times with the same results, I can see how some air could be getting in while reinstalling the compression assembly. I'm filling it to the top before installing the CA but getting it thru the threads carefully is not easy so maybe thats where air is getting in??

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
rroeder said:
Thanks JNC, I'm gonna redo it later today and I will post how it comes out. I've done it twice now following the directions and both times with the same results, I can see how some air could be getting in while reinstalling the compression assembly. I'm filling it to the top before installing the CA but getting it thru the threads carefully is not easy so maybe thats where air is getting in??
...if you have some M-prep, apply a bit to the seals (o-rings) on the CA before installing. Also, using a twisting motion as you insert the CA (like you were threading it on even before there are any threads to engage).

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it done, was careful to cycle the rod a bunch to get the air out and filled it up slowly, no way any air was in there, did the bladder step, then filled it to the top till it overflowed a tad and carefully installed the CA so no air snuck in. Checked to make sure the rod didn't move after locking it out and put it back together.

The fork is locking out , BUT, if I lean over the front end and compress real hard the fork will move around an 1/8". Pretty sure it was moving around the same amount before so maybe I didn't get it?? The fork would also make the clunking noise if I bounced the front end on the ground and made it compress slightly, it doesn't seem to be doing it now.

Guess I need to wait till I ride it again to see, not sure how any air could of gotten in there. Maybe there's a problem with the cart or bladder?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.