Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evil Sect. Where is this bike?

Originally Evil mentioned it would be released at the end of last summer. It seems there has been very little news on this bike. Hopefully there will be some news soon. I think Evil will have a great bike on their hands. They were ahead of the market curve when they announced it. There are a lot of riders that want a lower/slacker TRAIL bike. Will this be the answer?

Any other companies thinking this way. Why are so many companies behind the actual times on what riders really want?

What I want:
140 mm of travel
67* HA w/ a 150 mm fork
73* SA
13.25 BB

Only other frame I see is the Banshee Spitfire.

TG

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Prototypes have been floating around the Seattle dealers and riders (Big Tree and Veloce Velo). Be prepared for something pretty sweet, but they don't want to release it before its ready (like the Turner RFX). I got to ride the 140mm for a 3 hour ride a couple months ago and it was *really* smooth and felt like it moved faster whenever I hit a bump. The one I rode had a 36 Talas on it and I rode it at 160 in front the whole time - it never felt tippy or uncontrolled while climbing and it was very maneuverable in corners and berms. It was super easy to ride narrow logs and mild drops (2-4ft) and inspired confidence in almost all situations.
The rear end could have been slightly stiffer, but I was assured that it was getting a different pivot type on the next iteration, plus it had a standard XT QR rear wheel.
I am really looking forward to this bike and will be getting it or and RFX next - depends on which one comes first.
The DW 5Spot is slightly quicker handling than the Sect, and feels a little more XC in the continuum of XC/Trail/AM compared to the Sect. With a 160mm fork on the 5Spot it would feel a little more like the Sect, but with a little higher BB and less tunability. It would still be a great option for a very pedal-worthy TRAIL bike if that is what you are looking for and can't wait another 3-6 months (I'm guessing).

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't remember the name of the British mag I was flipping through or which month but it had a pic of the Sect & there's a pic or 2 on the internet I've come across.

Evil seems to keep everything pretty quiet. Not even alot of info on the bikes they have on their site. I'd love to own a Sovereign!

·
etruscan biker
84 Posts
G-AIR said:
Only other frame I see is the Banshee Spitfire
Something quite similar could be the 2010 Marin Attack Trail 6.8; fairly light (Bikemagic states it's under 30lbs) and slack: 66° head angle (not clear if it's with the same Revelation of the 6.8 or the Lyrik of the 6.9). Previous version of the frame was quite heavy, but the bike received a lot of positive reviews.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info. Thanks!

vwvoodoo said:
Prototypes have been floating around the Seattle dealers and riders (Big Tree and Veloce Velo). Be prepared for something pretty sweet, but they don't want to release it before its ready (like the Turner RFX). I got to ride the 140mm for a 3 hour ride a couple months ago and it was *really* smooth and felt like it moved faster whenever I hit a bump. The one I rode had a 36 Talas on it and I rode it at 160 in front the whole time - it never felt tippy or uncontrolled while climbing and it was very maneuverable in corners and berms. It was super easy to ride narrow logs and mild drops (2-4ft) and inspired confidence in almost all situations.
The rear end could have been slightly stiffer, but I was assured that it was getting a different pivot type on the next iteration, plus it had a standard XT QR rear wheel.
I am really looking forward to this bike and will be getting it or and RFX next - depends on which one comes first.
The DW 5Spot is slightly quicker handling than the Sect, and feels a little more XC in the continuum of XC/Trail/AM compared to the Sect. With a 160mm fork on the 5Spot it would feel a little more like the Sect, but with a little higher BB and less tunability. It would still be a great option for a very pedal-worthy TRAIL bike if that is what you are looking for and can't wait another 3-6 months (I'm guessing).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I keep looking at the Marins. I like the angles but every time I look there are just a couple details I don't like. The 150 mm series looks pretty sweet, but the stand over is pretty high and the chain stays seam long. Not a big deal on the smaller sizes but on a large it can really lengthen the WB.

I am actually surprised we don't here more about them. I guess I should give one a try.

Thanks,
TG

lorenz0 said:
Something quite similar could be the 2010 Marin Attack Trail 6.8; fairly light (Bikemagic states it's under 30lbs) and slack: 66° head angle (not clear if it's with the same Revelation of the 6.8 or the Lyrik of the 6.9). Previous version of the frame was quite heavy, but the bike received a lot of positive reviews.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Assuming X amount of travel = a certain ride characteristic is a red herring.

There are plenty of 160mm frames that fit that geo.

Suspension characteristics are designed into the frame by the engineer to do behave how the bike company wants the suspension to behave. For example a 140mm frame can pedal like poo, while a differently designed 160mm frame can pedal great.

You can even get a 160 frame and short shock it if you are really hung up on the extra 20mm (.78 inches of travel). Or make your shocks very progressive or damping very controlled.

Lots of riders have built trail type AM bikes through component choice, as well.

P

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So do you know when the frame is coming out?

I read about it, it sounded interesting, I am inquiring if there is any info on it. From how it was designed and described it sounded like it fit my bill.

I don't want to "short shock", I don't want to change an engineers design, I don't want a frankenbike, and I don't want 160 mm of travel. If you look at the original post I also added some geometry that I thought would work well. I know not all 5" bikes pedal well and some 6" bikes do pedal well.

Anybody have any info on the new Evil bikes?

TG

Mr.P said:
Assuming X amount of travel = a certain ride characteristic is a red herring.

There are plenty of 160mm frames that fit that geo.

Suspension characteristics are designed into the frame by the engineer to do behave how the bike company wants the suspension to behave. For example a 140mm frame can pedal like poo, while a differently designed 160mm frame can pedal great.

You can even get a 160 frame and short shock it if you are really hung up on the extra 20mm (.78 inches of travel). Or make your shocks very progressive or damping very controlled.

Lots of riders have built trail type AM bikes through component choice, as well.

P

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
G-AIR said:
So do you know when the frame is coming out?

I read about it, it sounded interesting, I am inquiring if there is any info on it. From how it was designed and described it sounded like it fit my bill.

I don't want to "short shock", I don't want to change an engineers design, I don't want a frankenbike, and I don't want 160 mm of travel. If you look at the original post I also added some geometry that I thought would work well. I know not all 5" bikes pedal well and some 6" bikes do pedal well.

Anybody have any info on the new Evil bikes?

TG
Talked to Gabe a week or two ago to inquire about the Order, another new frame in the pipeline. It sounds like the new frames will now be released as 2011 bikes. That might mean mid to late summer, or possibly later. Every company has different release dating for their next year's product line (Fox 2011 product is out now as an example). It sounds like they have been putting a great deal of time and energy into prototyping the new frames and getting them really dialled before they release them to the public. I have to say that I really like these guys and the way they are doing things. Can't wait to see the new stuff when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The Order was initially intended to be closer to the Faction, but in aluminum. Unless the design theory has changed, it will be an aluminum hardtail meant for 4x/DJ/street and all around playbike duties. I believe the Evil team riders are using prototypes of this frame on the world cup currently, probably with a few Factions mixed in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
godfather said:
The Order was initially intended to be closer to the Faction, but in aluminum. Unless the design theory has changed, it will be an aluminum hardtail meant for 4x/DJ/street and all around playbike duties. I believe the Evil team riders are using prototypes of this frame on the world cup currently, probably with a few Factions mixed in.
Damn. I was hoping it would be basically a lighter, alu version of the Sovereign. That would be pretty much my ideal bike. Well, either that or a Ti Sovereign. I can dream...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Give them time. The Evil crew is an awesome group, but it takes a lot of time and money to develop and produce new frames, especially for a smaler specialty builder. They will probably have at least two or three new frames being introduced for 2011. The line will grow as long as people respond well and keep supporting the smaller brands. I love my Revolt and can't wait to see what they come up with in the next couple of seasons. The Sect looks very promising as does the Order.

·
Registered
31 Posts
godfather said:
Give them time. The Evil crew is an awesome group, but it takes a lot of time and money to develop and produce new frames, especially for a smaler specialty builder. They will probably have at least two or three new frames being introduced for 2011. The line will grow as long as people respond well and keep supporting the smaller brands. I love my Revolt and can't wait to see what they come up with in the next couple of seasons. The Sect looks very promising as does the Order.
Yeah, the Sect does look great - I've been excited about that since I saw the first pics early last year. If they produce an XL frame and if it's not toooo expensive, it may well be my next FS...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.