Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
living together...mass hysteria!

Turner and Ellsworth riders can get along. Ron (CrashTheDOG), Mark and I revisited Gooseberry Mesa today. Ron and Mark ride Turners, I've got a Moment. Mark was wheelie dropping every 4 footer in sight. Ron and I were a little more subdued. Thanks Ron for being sick. It slowed you down just enough so I could barely hang today. The following pics are of Ron (except the last one of course). Mark was always too far ahead to get any pics.

Here are our bikes (Moment and 5 Spot) getting along just fine.



There was some serious mud on the way out. We crabbed sideways about as much as we pointed forward when we blasted through the muddy parts. The front wheel of my bike was situated in the spray and caught much of the thrown mud as you can see.



The following three shots are from a video capture. A climb at Gooseberry involves several tech moves strung together. This climb is one of the hardest for me. None of us cleaned it in one go this time. Both Mark and Ron did last week.







Here are a couple of shots of Ron giving a higher part of that same climb another try.





For Turner board enthusiasts, here's some of our southern Utah coyote dookie. It's full of rabbit hair. If you don't understand the reference, do a search for "scat." It makes for an entertaining read.

 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Cool! I don't remember GB looking so green. Nice.

Sounds like Bob has the goods on Crash now too. I always warned Crash that if he made me mad I post the pics of him pushing his Turner up those climbs. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
tscheezy said:
Sounds like Bob has the goods on Crash now too.
Of all the times I've cleaned that move why is it that the only two people that have EVER taken my pic on it have one of me flailing around like a fish out of water? Maybe it happens more frequently than I thought. :rolleyes:

We've had an unseasonably wet winter and spring resulting in the abundance of green you see in the pictures. The surrounding mountains received over 300% snow pack. The worry now is how quickly that snow pack is going to melt and if we'll have additional flooding this year. Fortunately things have stayed fairly cool to this point.
 

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drumstix said:
Scat or aluminum sludge falling of the Moment! :D
Kinda looks like the bike fell into an outhouse, doesn't it? :D

Don't feel bad, Crash. One of the reasons I usually ride alone is to avoid the multitude of blackmail pics I'd generate each and every ride.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
The real question is did you guys swap bikes during the ride??? I can never get through a ride with other people without trading bikes for a few miles. The only issue with that tends to be that it is hard for me to get my Turner back.

"Wow. Wooooww. Oh wow! Wooooww!!" -Crash's friend doing the climb to Porcupine rim on my 5-Spot while I rode his Voodoo hardtail.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Weaksauce! Someone obviously wasn't drving fast enough through the goop, it's hardly to hub level. (see attachment #1)

Was the goatse donut still visable in the parking lot? Probably not, it was laid down on Tuesday morning early. (see attachment #2)

A new use for the Id was discovered in Moab on Wednesday. (see attachment #3)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
tscheezy said:
The real question is did you guys swap bikes during the ride??? I can never get through a ride with other people without trading bikes for a few miles. The only issue with that tends to be that it is hard for me to get my Turner back.
We didn't trade mid-ride, guess I just didn't think to do it, but back at the trailhead we rode the first 1/4 mile or so of trail and back. Not the best test drive but it was enough to see that the Moment is a very worthy bike with a suspension that executes very similarly to my Spot but a bit more plush. The Fox 36 was very supple and buttery throughout what travel I was able to activate on such a short ride. It was also incredibly stiff which created the sensation that the head angle had been steepened by a degree or two over my Spot.

tscheezy said:
"Wow. Wooooww. Oh wow! Wooooww!!" -Crash's friend doing the climb to Porcupine rim on my 5-Spot while I rode his Voodoo hardtail.
Jimmy, the dude with the Voodoo HT, is the one buying my Spot. He had been wishy-washy on the purchase for the past several months until I let him borrow my Spot for a ride on Gooseberry that I couldn't make. Needless to say he slapped down the cash after the ride. The guys that went with him still laugh about the multiple orgasms he had while riding. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
AK Chris said:
I still think the official name for the 36 color should be "scat brown." :D
Don't you think it also looks oddly similar to UPS's brown?

Pete said:
Weaksauce! Someone obviously wasn't drving fast enough through the goop, it's hardly to hub level. (see attachment #1)
That would be me. We got another good dose of rain on Friday that made 90% of the dirt, or should I say clay, road slicker that a greased teflon pan. Even with 4x4 we were typically crawling sideways. Guess I should've traded out the OEM tires with AT's a little sooner. Sorry didn't notice the donut.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
So you have decided to make the Pack your only bike? Better put that sucker on a diet. Take it from me, it's easy to heap heavy crap on that particular frame. You blink and the next thing you know you are standing at the bottom of the Gold Bar Rim climb staring up those sandstone slabs with a 35+ pound pig under your butt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
tscheezy said:
So you have decided to make the Pack your only bike? Better put that sucker on a diet.
It will be for the foreseeable future. As far as weight the only place I can see being able to lighten up my current build, without sacrificing the ride, would be the RP3, which I'll swap out with the DHX as desired, and a lighter wheel set than the KING/D28's that it's coming with. I plan on running the same tires I would on the Spot. The only other thing I can think of is the Gravity Dropper post. Any other suggestions?
 

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
tscheezy said:
The real question is did you guys swap bikes during the ride??? I can never get through a ride with other people without trading bikes for a few miles.
One other thing that kept us from trading for very long stretches is the fact I run my brakes motorycle style, and squeezing the wrong brake on Gooseberry can create a "situation" quickly.

I think Crash's bike felt great. Interestingly, his fork felt more supple to me than my 36, and I think his RP3 bobbed less than my DHX. I have the propedal, bottom out and boost settings rather low on my shock, but that's the way I prefer it.

The 36 is awesome on big bumps, but probably looses a little suppleness on the tiny stuff to a coil fork. I really like the feel, though and my previous TALAS 130 (also air) bobbed quite a bit more with pedaling. The 36 doesn't move much at all with pedaling, but moves well with bumps. I think it must be the separate fast and slow compression adjustments.

As a result, my bike bobs a little more in the back and Crash's bobs a little more in the front. Makes for a different feel that would take more miles to completely evaluate. Maybe we can trade for a longer period on the JEM or another trail with less brake mistake penalty.

Didn't see a donut. Must have been a bad cop up there in the meantime. I read somewhere they're associated with no donuts.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
I think Crash's bike felt great. Interestingly, his fork felt more supple to me than my 36, and I think his RP3 bobbed less than my DHX. I have the propedal, bottom out and boost settings rather low on my shock, but that's the way I prefer it.
Interesting indeed. Crash's fork is an air also. He has an 04 Z1 SL (130mm). I have an SL also, but my thoughts more closely mirror yours on the 36- the SL is a bit stiff over little bumps but it really shines at speed. I think if I were to get a 36 I would just get the R model since I have yet to experience adjustable compression damping up front that I actually cared for. I'll take a fork which bobs all day long...

The RP3 does have a superior feeling platform over the DHX imo. I have played with a lot of BV, PP, and BO settings on the DHX on both the Spot and Pack and have yet to find a combo of settings which matches the stock RP3's action in "-" mode, let alone the platform action of the medium PP setting. It is also plusher in my experience, especially on the Spot. My experience with the RP3 and DHX shocks makes me a bit less excited about the DHX air since I suspect I would end up still preferring the RP3. The cool thing about the DHX air over the coil will be to micro-adjust the spring rate and be able to check travel via the o-ring. It is so hard to gauge actual bottoming with the coil DHX.
 

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lutarious said:
I almost bought one before I found my 5 Spot. There must be something we can despise about them.
Sorry Turner fans can't hate Ventanas. It's somewhere in the paperwork you got with the bike.
 

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tscheezy said:
Interesting indeed. Crash's fork is an air also. He has an 04 Z1 SL (130mm). I have an SL also, but my thoughts more closely mirror yours on the 36- the SL is a bit stiff over little bumps but it really shines at speed. I think if I were to get a 36 I would just get the R model since I have yet to experience adjustable compression damping up front that I actually cared for. I'll take a fork which bobs all day long...

The RP3 does have a superior feeling platform over the DHX imo. I have played with a lot of BV, PP, and BO settings on the DHX on both the Spot and Pack and have yet to find a combo of settings which matches the stock RP3's action in "-" mode, let alone the platform action of the medium PP setting. It is also plusher in my experience, especially on the Spot. My experience with the RP3 and DHX shocks makes me a bit less excited about the DHX air since I suspect I would end up still preferring the RP3. The cool thing about the DHX air over the coil will be to micro-adjust the spring rate and be able to check travel via the o-ring. It is so hard to gauge actual bottoming with the coil DHX.
That is interesting. I'd have sworn it was a coil. Kinda felt that bout my TALAS, too, though. Air suspension is really getting the feel of coils more and more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,135 Posts
Ventana...

Lutarious said:
I almost bought one before I found my 5 Spot. There must be something we can despise about them.
His build quality is second to none, and more like art.
His paint jobs are second to none.
He'll do custom work at a reasonable price/timeframe.
He's a class act with exceptional customer service.
He despises he-who-shall-not-be-named and slammed him publicly here.

What's not to love?

I suppose if you want to pick nits, he doesn't build true Horst links yet his bikes perform tremendously and are arguably the stiffest out there.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top