Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Mike, the owner of Bike Co. in Lake Forest CA built up his personal EVO last week, and he came by the shop to show it to me. It looks b*$tchin!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Float fork? No travel adjustment? Does the AM seat angle really make that much of a difference?

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Pretty much yes

TIMBERRR said:
Float fork? No travel adjustment? Does the AM seat angle really make that much of a difference?
I would say a travel adjust fork is required on the FR version (can we call it that?), and optional but still very useful on the AM version. I think the AM version also has a little steeper HT, but not by much. ChumbaEVO might shed a little light on that.

I just rode all day at on my AM/Lyric 2-step combination, and I kept forgetting to drop the fork on the climbs. That would never happen on the FR bike. Don't get me wrong, once I dropped it, it made climbing much nicer, but you dont get the wandering front end like you do on the FR frame.

Just to be even handed, the FR's slackness pays big dividends on technical steep downhill stuff. I have not ridden every bike out there, but I don't think anyone else makes a 6" bike that slack. It is in a niche between AM and FR/DH, IMHO.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I wonder how the AM version would like my Zoke 66 ata? Might give me the extra slack on the DH and ATA it down for the trail and climbs.

HMMMMM. Thinking.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Timberrr...you in CO? If so, swing by Alpha if you get a chance and you can check out both geo's. My med/lg is the FRish version, and Matt's sm/med is the AM version. I've ridden the FRish everywhere...at 37lbs...and it's great. As a matter of fact I was climbing the other day and a buddy who was behind me was commenting on not only how large my arse was, but also how there was zero flex and no movement in the suspension! Good stuff...just need the mountains to dry up to really test her out.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Yes I'm in CO. I'm in Nederland, 16 miles west of Boulder. Where's Alpha?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Denver Tech Ctr....it's a drive unless you work or have other business down there. Have you been in to BBC? I think they are closer. Maybe a ride at Hall is in order...I'll bring the bikes up for you to ride if you can't ride one there locally. How tall are you?

·
Registered
88 Posts
great looking bike!! but what maker/model is that bike rack on the back of that van, i need a new one and that thing looks perfect..

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
PattD said:
Denver Tech Ctr....it's a drive unless you work or have other business down there. Have you been in to BBC? I think they are closer. Maybe a ride at Hall is in order...I'll bring the bikes up for you to ride if you can't ride one there locally. How tall are you?
I've been to BBC (nice shop) and rode a laguna blue around the block. (FR angles) Just haven't really had the time to get back over there and take it for a good ride @ hall.
I'm 5'10.75 w/out shoes. The S/M Laguna seemed to fit pretty good. I wonder if a M/L would fit better.
I was kind of hoping to catch the EVO guy's when they were there but I had to work. Kinda thought they should have come on a weekend. Not thursday afternoon. ( if memory serves)

Anyway it would be cool to meet you guys one way or another. I don't mind making a trek down town. Could be like a field trip.

·
Bueno!
311 Posts
Hey Timberrr The Laguna Seca Evo you rode was the AM version. Steeper seat tube angle. The S/M (Now called Medium) is definitely a better fit for ya. The Large Top Tube height is pretty darn steep. :cool:

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I did not know that. Sooner or later I'm gonna git back over there and take it out for a real test ride.
Thank you for your help and patience.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
This frame is for sale. Just an FYI for anyone who is interested.

Check the Classifieds.

Anyone know why he's selling???

·
Registered
205 Posts
I want to build one... : ) Who has the best deals on frames? I have seen some late 06s for $999 with the claim that there is no difference between the 06 and the 07 other than a 1/2 lb... ????

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Seat angles are different. The '07 has a steeper angle for climbing.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,441 Posts
TIMBERRR said:
This frame is for sale. Just an FYI for anyone who is interested.

Check the Classifieds.

Anyone know why he's selling???
Bike shop owner who builds a new bike every other week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts