Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a non carbon x.o rear der be coverted into a carbon version by replacing the alum. cage with the carbon version? what else can I do to lighten it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
yes, you can swap the aluminium cage for a carbon cage - it saved 12 grams for me. which was nice considering i wasn't doing it for the weight savings.

you can also save some weight by changing the ti cable anchor bolt to aluminium - but i haven't bothered. also, you can get lighter jockey wheels but there is a bit of fiddling to make it work. try a search or i'm sure someone will eventually reply with some details. i haven't done it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was it a sram replacement part and how much does the part cost.

·
Registered
959 Posts
yes, it's a sram replacement part (packaging for mine has part number 200-894 printed on it)- any shop can order one. in australia the retail price is 160-170 aussie dollars.

·
Registered
959 Posts
we're talking australian dollars and we're talking retail through a local bike store. buy it from a us online store and i'd be thinking somewhere around the 70-80 US dollar mark. not trying to say it's actually a reasonable price 'cause it's not, but it is cheaper than an '07 xtr derailleur.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I swapped out the jockey wheels on my X.9 and went from 224.6g to 202.8g, 21.8g saved. Heavy Jockey wheels eh?

Here are pics and weights of the X.9 jockey wheels and my special light weight jockey wheel, aka, am old set of shimano deore wheels that I drilled out.

Attachments

·
bang
1,290 Posts
aussie_yeti said:
we're talking australian dollars and we're talking retail through a local bike store. buy it from a us online store and i'd be thinking somewhere around the 70-80 US dollar mark.
yea, you're right. it's about half the cost of an '07 xtr derailer. a little more feasable if you have to get one anyway...

MileHighMark said:
No barrel adjuster on the 970's? :shocked:
nope. it's a redundant part anyway. makes you wonder why deraielrs have them in the first place when there's an adjuster on the shifter?

bigfish said:
I swapped out the jockey wheels on my X.9 and went from 224.6g to 202.8g, 21.8g saved. Heavy Jockey wheels eh?
wow, i wonder how much the xo pulleys weigh? how much do those pulleys weigh? what kind are they / where did you get them from / how much do they cost?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I bought those exact pulleys from that seller, and they are great quality. The weight is as advertised (within a gram or so). The only problem I had was with the spacers. When installed with the spacers as is, one pulley was offset slightly to one side of the derailleur cage, and the other pulley the other side. I took some 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper and water and sanded 2 of the spacers from 1.6mm down to .9mm, and mounted the pulleys with a thin spacer on one side with the top pulley, and the other side with the bottom pulley, and everything centered right up. I don't have much time with these on the bike yet because the weather has been shiite, and the holidays and all, but they dropped the weight of my med. cage X0 from 199 to 176g.

·
Registered
292 Posts
BlownCivic said:
I bought those exact pulleys from that seller, and they are great quality. The weight is as advertised (within a gram or so). The only problem I had was with the spacers. When installed with the spacers as is, one pulley was offset slightly to one side of the derailleur cage, and the other pulley the other side. I took some 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper and water and sanded 2 of the spacers from 1.6mm down to .9mm, and mounted the pulleys with a thin spacer on one side with the top pulley, and the other side with the bottom pulley, and everything centered right up. I don't have much time with these on the bike yet because the weather has been shiite, and the holidays and all, but they dropped the weight of my med. cage X0 from 199 to 176g.
Does it seem like they spin as well as the stock pulleys? Also, would it have worked if you had turned one of them around so that they were both offset in the same direction?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I detect no difference in the spin of these over the Sram pulleys. The carbon pulleys are built with no offset at all, so turning them around would have made no difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts