Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Slide has always been sticky at the top of the travel, but now it's gotten pretty sticky to where small bump compliance is zero (well it has always sucked at small bumps).

What causes this exactly? Not enough oil? How do u remedy it?

The fork has been in service 1 yr and 2 weeks so far, 2279 miles. It was last taken apart on 9-9-2013, 1384 miles ago...seems like yesterday but maybe it should be serviced or something.

What are other things that can be done to get that travel at the top unsticky?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
They are all like that, so nothing wrong with yours in particular.

I'm curious though. It is usually sticky only at the very top. As when the bike sits at zero sag.

So when riding, you should not be at zero sag ever. Well save for getting air. So if yours is sticky mid travel, and not at the top, you may have worn guides.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running at about 60ish PSI so it is sagged, but still a bit sticky at the top it seems.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
When I first get on my bike the fork pops loose from the topof its travel. It's good to go then until it sits unsagged for a while. I do not get the sticking during a ride. Even when the wheel leaves the ground and the fork tops out.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Give it a lowers service, should be done every 200-300 miles. New oil in the lowers and grease up the bushings oil seals and air piston seal with some slick honey.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Most forks need oil change service every 50-100 hours. Start there and see if that helps.

My Marz 55CR was a little sticky from day one, it got a little better as it broke in but still needed a little help. Thought it was low on oil but pulled the lowers and it was fine. Pulled the dust wipers and squirted a bunch of marine grease under there. Worked it under and around the seals/stanchions and now it runs like butter. The Marz uses a what looks like an oil scraper and and a second set of seals under the dust wipers. Absolutely no oil comes out, I think they actually sealed it too well and the stanchions don't get enough lube.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah just sticky at the top even during a ride. Sometimes I'll try to let the bike sit upside down to help fight the sticky.

I'm definitely past due for a lowers service so I will try to get this done next week.

I'd like to get everything I need to do it myself so i can really dial it in and take full control over it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so last night I went and flipped my bike so that it was sitting upside down overnight. Today I went out for 35 miles including some singletrack sections (not a lot because our trails aren't in good shape) and man the fork was working a lot better. I was actually thinking that it was working well.

So I guess the main thing with this fork is that it needs to spend a significant time upside down to keep it fresh.

I mean I have intentionally set the bike upside down, in fact every time I load/unload from the car it is upside down to mount/unmount wheels. However I guess it needs more time than that so I'm going to get into the habit of parking it upside down.

I'm still going to get it serviced though since the season is just starting.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I ended taking apart my fork to figure out what was going on with it and discovered the cause of the sticky:

That leg was contaminated with something and caused damage to the stanchion.

I have since changed the damper oil to a lighter weight, and did lowers service. The fork is now sagging just below that damaged area and is riding pretty good. With it being at 120mm this works out great as sagging that far corrects the HTA in a nice way that nets me more grip in the corners, yet still rides great and feels supported.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That's probably not the cause. XFusion uses a quad seal for their air spring seal. The stiction that seal creates allows the fork to feel locked out after sitting for a few minutes. I have new forks here that all do it.

You can make a Fox fork feel the exact same way by installing a quad seal instead of the correct Fox air spring seal on a Float fork.

After the initial movement, the fork works just fine but that is a quirk of the quad seal on the air spring piston.

mk

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh there is friction when the dust wipers hit that spot. I couldn't pull the lowers off or slide back on by hand when they reached that point.

If i run enough psi to where it sags higher up, you can feel the fork catch on the damage. It takes a bump with enough force for it to break it free. I run lower pressure to keep the HTA from being so slack so it doesn't get hung up on it as much.

Closer up:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mean i get what you are saying with the air spring, but I have this other problem now.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah, clearly that is beyond just the air spring issue.

mk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts