Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
I've got one. No complaints. Super easy to work on. Went from a vengeance to it and didn't notice much of a loss in stiffness.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does it compare to a 32mm fork in terms of stiffness and stiction?

I have been a gnat's ass from pulling the trigger on a Manitou Marvel due to needing to maintain an ATC of 500 or less, but found out not 30 minute ago that reducing the travel gives a 1:1 ATC reduction on the Slant, so that 150mm travel is 535 ATC, 140=525, etc.

Do you know if the internal travel adjustment requires additional parts?

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
It's significantly stiffer than my RS Revelation 32, and that has a 20mm axle.

Travel adjust is easy. Search the Xfusion website, they have a good video on it. It adjusts in 20mm increments, if you want 5/10mm you'll need some spacers. Spacers are the easiest way to adjust.

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
Slant on my carbine. +, stiffer than my zoke 44 rc3, -, stiffer than my zoke 44, & that's with PSI way under specs.
Like the fork, but compression is kinda harsh for my 150 lbs.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I had a few technical questions being worked on by X-Fusion and didn't want to overwhelm them with simple stuff that I felt could be answered by the knowledgeable people here. You all came through with excellent answers as always.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Slant on my carbine. +, stiffer than my zoke 44 rc3, -, stiffer than my zoke 44, & that's with PSI way under specs.
Like the fork, but compression is kinda harsh for my 150 lbs.
Have you tried lighter oil in the damper?

I'm 140# and normally struggle with all off the shelf fork's damping and springs. I'm interested in the Sweep, but it's the same fork just in 27.5 flavour.

Thanks for any insight, mate!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I have one on my sb66c and like it a lot. Set and forget simplistic set up. I had a fox 36rc2 float and don't miss it and my Slant is lighter...

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
Have you tried lighter oil in the damper?

I'm 140# and normally struggle with all off the shelf fork's damping and springs. I'm interested in the Sweep, but it's the same fork just in 27.5 flavour.

Thanks for any insight, mate!
The dampers are sealed, & bushing lube is minimal. Lighter lube there would help?

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
The dampers are sealed, & bushing lube is minimal. Lighter lube there would help?
My only gripe is that damper service seems to be something you have to send it back in for. I can't find oil volumes or a service guide for the damper.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
This is the pic of a Velvet, but still a RL2 damper just as in the Sweep. The cartridge is not sealed and it doesn't look any more complicated.

X-Fusion-Velvet-013.jpg

It's just that X-Fusion does not state how much oil you should run in there and what spec for it.

I meant lighter oil IN the damper. The semi-bath will make the fork a little plusher, but it will not solve damping issues.

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
Thanks Warp, Yeah, I knew you were referring to the damper, I haven't broken mine down yet, & was under the impression the dampers were a sealed unit under pressure & not serviceable.
Great photo. wouldn't it be possible to measure the oil removed from the damper upon disassemblely?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Thanks Warp, Yeah, I knew you were referring to the damper, I haven't broken mine down yet, & was under the impression the dampers were a sealed unit under pressure & not serviceable.
Great photo. wouldn't it be possible to measure the oil removed from the damper upon disassemblely?
Well, it would not be accurate but worth a shot. At full extension, I would think that the oil should just cover the compression assembly but I have never serviced one of them. Too much oil and you would not be getting full travel or even hydrolocking!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
At least for the Sweep, oil level should be up to that clip-ring you can see in the photo above the o-ring that seals the damper. but make sure to cycle the damper shaft when adding oil to make sure oil is down in the circuit. Its probably the same for all rl2 forks.

·
Rocks belong
5,293 Posts
This is the pic of a Velvet, but still a RL2 damper just as in the Sweep. The cartridge is not sealed and it doesn't look any more complicated.

View attachment 878198
Interesting. Maybe the RL2 on the Slant/Slide/Vengeance is different than the RL2 on my Sweep?

Looking at Xfusion's site... RL2 is used where 'sealed' or 'cartridge damper' are not necessarily used.

For example. The Sweep specifically says sealed cartridge damper:
•RL2 Sealed Cartridge damper w/ Mid Valve
Whereas the Velvet makes no mention of sealed, or cartridge.

•The RL2 damper has rebound damping adjustment and uses an on-off switch for lockout

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I think the cartridge is the same on all rl2 forks. This is an email sent to me from xfusion regarding the Sweep:
The damper is a cartridge but it's not a sealed cartridge. It's sealed to the stanchion tube but the cartridge itself is open from the top. I attached pic I took for someone the other day. So the port is above the o-ring seal (to the stanchion tube) and that pulls oil into the cartridge. the oil level should be up to the clip ring once you cycle oil into the cartridge. If you're pulling lowers you can easily pop the top cap of the cartridge from the crown and remove the cartridge and drain the oil. Otherwise, you just add oil from the top with the cartridge in the leg but the top cap still un-attached. Add small amounts at a time and use the rebound shaft to cycle oil down into the system. You will be able to feel it once it has oil in it and it's working properly (leave the rebound open to make it easier). After that you just add oil up to that clip ring and your golden. unnamed (17).jpg
As you can see this looks just like the damper in the picture of the disassembled velvet.

·
Rocks belong
5,293 Posts
Hmmm... Then why do they specifically state "sealed" in the product description? I feel like I've been duped!

1 - 20 of 252 Posts