Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I blew through the lockout a while back and now the lockout doesn't work at all... It's a '12 Velvet. I took it apart and looked at the internals, but didn't see anything bent or out of place. I'm not real familiar with MTB forks. I used to play around with the valving on my dirtbikes when I used to race, so I'm not completely suspension dumb. Just not familiar with lockouts and how they work...

·
but i want to ride now
134 Posts
In most forks the oil cycles through the damper side unimpeded. The exception to this is closed systems like Fox's FIT or Rock Shox's Charger damper, where the oil cycles within a flexible bladder. In either case (open or closed) a lockout works by disallowing oil to cycle within the confines of the system. Essentially, when the lockout is closed (locked) a port is closed, which no longer allows oil to cycle. I have not personally disassembled a Velvet, but we (and by we, I mean fellow Fat Tire Cycles techs) have rebuilt a couple in the past. My guess is that something stripped or failed in some way, allowing the port to open, and probably compromising any real damping control. Long story short, in may require a new lockout assembly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.