Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $2k to spend on a hardtail for x-country racing. I'm looking at the Jamis Dragon Pro (http://jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/dragonpro.html), but am wondering if I should try to find something lighter (it's 25 lbs) for that price.

I've looked at pricing for building a Salsa Moto Rapido, which would likely be lighter, but I can't build it up with the same level of compents/fork as I would get with the Jamis.

Any opinions on either of these? I'm 130 lb. female and my current hardtail is 28 pounds, so the Jamis will give some weight savings and will be a significant upgrade

Thanks.

·
Banned
462 Posts
I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the Jamis Dragon has a chromoly frame (steel). You might save some weight with an alloy frame instead. If that matters.

Edit: The Moto Rapido come in scandium and has carbon seat stays, pretty much as good as it gets in terms of hardtail alloy frames.

That doesn't mean the Moto Rapido is better, they are made for a different type of ride.

also see:
Gary Fisher Ziggarat/Big Sur
Trek 8000/8500
Specialized Stumpjumper

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Jamis can't be beat for value...

That bike looks very sweet for $2k. The 853 steel frame should be sweet and it is very well equipped. I don't know much about Salsa, but if $2k is your budget that is a really sweet bike. Additionally, Jamis bikes usually come in a broad range of sizes so finding one that fits is usually no problem either...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
do you want light?

If you want a fast hardtail that is light; nothing will beat the 2007/08 Motobecane FLYs
coming in 5 weeks from now

FLY PRO $895 21.5 lbs -- XT, SID, custom wheels with precision hubs

FLY 9357 $1195 21 lbs - XTR, SID, CARBON JUICY BRAKES

FLY TEAM - $1495 20.5 lbs - XTR, WCS, SID, CARBON JUICY , CARBON CRANK

my opinion is: nothing faster or light at this price level; plus one of the top light weight ATB XC frames ever made. Several magazines share my opinion on these bike

very fun bikes to ride

mike
bikesdirect.com

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Fit would be the biggest criteria especially for racing........I had a salsa for a year, great ride and feel, but did not fit me properly (short TT, little standover)

Weight.....Salsa hands down......gonna be lighter by 1.25 lbs because of the frame weight difference between the Moto and dragon

Cost......Salsa frame is more expensive and they don't have the OEM buying power of Jamis, but you can build the Salsa to whatever you like easily but just not for the same dollars.....

Here's something intresting......Jenson's is clearing out 05 Dragon frames for 389 bucks.....get the frame, buy a good fork(400 bucks) and buy speedgoats QBP XTR kit with avid ultimate brakes/Mavic crossmax SL wheels(2350) and still come in less then 2k less then the Dragon team version......

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
pink bike said:
I have $2k to spend on a hardtail for x-country racing. I'm looking at the Jamis Dragon Pro (http://jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/dragonpro.html), but am wondering if I should try to find something lighter (it's 25 lbs) for that price.

I've looked at pricing for building a Salsa Moto Rapido, which would likely be lighter, but I can't build it up with the same level of compents/fork as I would get with the Jamis.

Any opinions on either of these? I'm 130 lb. female and my current hardtail is 28 pounds, so the Jamis will give some weight savings and will be a significant upgrade

Thanks.
what's your current bike? 2k could buy alot of nice stupid light parts...

or buy the motobecane...

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
bikesdirect said:
my opinion is: nothing faster or light at this price level; plus one of the top light weight ATB XC frames ever made.
Wow - Great to get an unbiased opinion!

In all seriousness, if you don't care about brand name, the Moto's are fantastic bang for the buck. If you want cheap and light, with no emotional attachments - it's not a bad option to consider.

I'd go with a Motobecane long before I bought a Jamis.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ok, bikedirect guy, I am lazy and have not gone to competitor website, but how does this compare to anything IBEX has for sale. Since I read so much about them. What does anyone else think? Ibex guy are you there? Hey and I am asking in a nice way too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.