Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased one of these recently to try and get back into some serious single track. I think the 30T chainring is a little under powered. Any of you guys go to a 34T and have good results? If so, which chainring did you go with? To be honest, all this boost 141 and 148 is a bit new to me as I am a ancient masher from the 90's, lol. 3mm offset, or 6mm? Oval? I appreciate the input.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I could say that you COULD put a 34 on there--I wouldn't, [email protected] RPMs, you are going 21 miles per hour assuming an 11t sprocket in the back. Such a speed is almost never sustained on my trails, and I find it hard to see that elsewhere. Maybe downhill on a buffed trail, but otherwise, a hardtail isn't going to let you pedal at that speed.

Honestly, I can mash pedals just fine on a singlespeed, but if I have the gearing, why not use it efficiently?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the in depth reply. I'm getting back into the groove and the updated mechanics of this current bike technology. I may run a 32 instead then. Texas is relatively fast in the singletrack and I'd like to increase my speed some. Other bikes have seemed faster at the same cadence. I dont want to get left in the dust. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought one this week. After first ride I knew I wanted higher gear. Had 32 ring installed and also ordered 10-50 rear. Going from 11 to 10 in back gains more than 30 to 32 in front. Changing the cassette also doesn’t decrease low gear like 32 ( and obviously 34) does. I agree 30 too tiny. My first ride I was coasting downhill. I was used to my 11 year old bike w 3 front rings and i could power down hills and flat. 2 rides w 32 and like it. 10-50 hasn’t arrived yet but should be great. Obviously changing that giant rear cassette more costly.
Assuming 90 rpm 29 wheel 2.2 tire it calculates 30 w 11= 21.2mph. 32 w 11 22.5.
30 w 10 = 23.2. 32 w 10 24.8 mph.—Dave

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
214 Posts
Depends on your riding style. I felt good on a 28t but even better with a 26t. But I am all about climb and just cruise on downhills any chance I get taking it easy on flats. Also the hills around here are brutal. Long climbs are murderous and leave me wanting a smaller chainring.

I also have the 141mm boost rear dropout even though it is not the same bike as yours. My chainrings have a 3mm offset.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The smaller the cog size the faster it wears out the chain and cogs together. Larger cogs put less wear on the drivetrain. Get the largest chainring you ca. Fit to the frame and go with less offset as 6mm offset is for a 135 rear end mostly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Marlin 2021 6/7 frames can fit up to a 40t chainring, so i get the feeling the xcalibers will be able to as well, since their frame geometry and build seem to be identical (except for the alloy material).
When i get my hands on a 2021 Marlin, i am going to try to put a 44t ring on it, with an older shimano crankset.
Besides being highly inefficient, running newer granny 1x chainrings is good for your aerobic system, but it won't make your leg muscles any stronger. From training on my older Trek 4500 with a 44t, i can do 1500m cat 2 climbs only on the 44t, and i only have to switch to the 34t on very hard 15% unpaved climb segments. Having an 11-42t cassette, helps of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts