Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 trek x-cal and want to try a wider rear tire. Anybody out there have one who can recommend what will fit, given the clearances and the stock rims? Wouldn't mind trying a Conti Trail King (2.2 or 2.4) but don't know how it would fit. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have a 2012 Marlin and I believe (not 100% sure) that the frames are the same shapes, xcal I believe had a different material and the biggest tire I can run in the rear has been a 2.2 wolverine or bronson which are true to size.

I know the conti's run small so the 2.4 might fit....or it might rub

·
Registered
15 Posts
Different brands are different actual sizes iv ran 2.35 on both my front and backs before and some brands fit and others didn't. Your best bet is go to your LBS or find an online site with a generous return policy and buy several tires that you like and see which fits and which don't. Keep what you like and send the rest back. I stick with a 2.2 up front and a 2.0 in the back because I really like that feel so I never worry about fit anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm not sure where it maxes out, and that will depend on the profile of the particular tire, but I picked up a Continental X-King 2.4 and slapped it on the rear, and it fits fine, with room left to spare. I feel like I had less room in back than in front, but haven't swapped out the front yet. I don't think Conti's are necessarily the biggest profile tires out there for their rated size, but if the X-King fits, then a 2.4 Trail King or Mountain King probably would, and I've heard great reviews of those, so there are probably a number of options in the 2.3-2.4 range that will fit with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.