Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am negotiating a deal on 2 bikes, one form me :) and one for my 13 year old daughter, who loves to ride SC trails with me.

Me : 21" 2011 X-Cal
Her: 17.5" 2010 Fisher Marlin Disc GS (see is growing like a weed and is 5'5" now)

The deal - Roughly $1850 before tax with a set of xt pedals (so $2000 with tax) The specifics are $1350 for x-cal and $450 for marlin.

Concerns: I am a fairly confident the x-cal is a great bike, I don't like how the tires look for wet fall riding though. Note they also have a Salsa El Mariachi(sp) in my size for $1450, similar specs with perhaps better rims (stan ztr) and X9 instead X7 rear-d. I imagine it is a bit heavier though ( it is also a litter cheeser with letters all over the rims and bright red X9 rear-d).

Does this seem like a good deal? I think the x-cal is an ok deal and the marlin is a great deal. 2010 fisher paint was so much nicer then 2011.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
many places around me have the '11 xcal for 1250. the el mar in your size is a really good deal- definitely better spec'd than the xcal- the rims, brakes, rd, fd.

i think they are around the same weight- my wife has a 17.5 xcal and i have a 22" el mar. i haven't weighed them though. they have different feels and geo so be sure you like the fit. if the el mar fits well, go for it. for under $1500 you would be getting a great bike!

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
$1350 for the 2011 Xcal isn't that bad, but $450 for the 2010 Marlin is great, iirc it was originally $800, definitely better spec'd than the 2011 Marlin 29. But $1850 total for those plus a set of XT pedals means you're getting the pedals for $50? That's $100 off full retail. I'm guessing this is a package deal, try not to pay too much attention to the individual prices, but look at what you're saving as a whole, around $600.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$1350 for the 2011 Xcal isn't that bad, but $450 for the 2010 Marlin is great, iirc it was originally $800, definitely better spec'd than the 2011 Marlin 29. But $1850 total for those plus a set of XT pedals means you're getting the pedals for $50? That's $100 off full retail. I'm guessing this is a package deal, try not to pay too much attention to the individual prices, but look at what you're saving as a whole, around $600.
Exactly. The marlin is really a savings compared to buying a 2011 or 2012.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Salsa El Mar was an, XL 22" and a little too big (negative clearance if you know what I mean). Ended up getting the X-cal + Marlin.

The deal was:
2011 X-Cal $1199 with stock tires traded for Nobby Nics
2010 Marlin disk GS $499
XT pedals $75
trek helmet (for my son)
Cheap Bonty Computer (for my son)

Total with tax $2077

I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
sounds like you got a nice deal. congrats! the clearance on xl el mar is borderline but not a big deal at all. post up some pics when you have a chance. new bikes are fun! ez

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I attached a picture of the new X-cal. Kinda makes my civic look small! The Nobby Nics look huge, especially compared to the tires that were originally on it.

Thanks again for the help. Btw my 13 year old daughter loves her new Marlin Disk WSD. The x-cal is plenty good enough for me and the feeling and her being able to have a nice bike too is way better then me getting a more expensive bike. She can't wait to go riding with me this weekend.!

Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.