Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I've decided to get rid of the Shimano FD on my Rush. She's currently sporting Sram X.0 RD and twisties and I'd like to go X.9 on the front. Just looking at the X.9 derailleur at the LBS it seems it may ride a bit higher that the Shimano XT that I currently have installed. Clearance with the swing arm looks like it could be an issue (perhaps even rear tire clearance). Has anyone mounted one of these up on their rush? Any issues? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jiar577 said:
Why don't you like the XT der? I have one and couldn't be more pleased as it almost never needs adjustment. I wish I could say that of the XTR rear der.

As for the Sram, I don't have a clue.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the XT (or any other Shimano FD for that matter) I just happen to want to go to a complete SRAM setup. The fact that SRAM finally released a low band FD that works on elevated stay swing arms means I can potentially do away with the lone piece of Shimano on any of my bikes (road, cross, and MTB). Nothing against the company but I prefer SRAM off road and Campy on the tarmac.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Go with the Low mount (top swing) X9

I switched from a XT to the top swing X9. the X9 is lighter and works WAY better in shifting and as a bonus no more rocks get caught in the linkage anymore as the X9 deflects the debris from lodging into the linkage. I love my low mount X9. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I just wish my rize came with a low mount setup but due to the high pivot placement on the seat tube I must run a traditional. I might try the trad X9 but it's not as nice as the low mount.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
danoalb said:
I switched from a XT to the top swing X9. the X9 is lighter and works WAY better in shifting and as a bonus no more rocks get caught in the linkage anymore as the X9 deflects the debris from lodging into the linkage. I love my low mount X9. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I just wish my rize came with a low mount setup but due to the high pivot placement on the seat tube I must run a traditional. I might try the trad X9 but it's not as nice as the low mount.
Thanks for the input but now I'm a bit confused. Did you use the X.9 on a Rush or a Rize? If on a Rush you'd need a low clamp bottom pull, not a top pull correct? :confused:

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
I'm not sure what your Rush would need but I assume you know. They make every configuration for the low mount. I use the low mount on my m500 hardtail which is a top swing bottom pull. On the other hand my Rize uses a bottom swing (traditional) top pull. The X9's are dedicated top or bottom pull and also the band clamps are dedicated also (no spacers) thats one of the reasons they are lighter as they don't have to pull dual duty. If you run a low mount (top swing) bottom pull now all you have to do is get the band clamp size and pull direction right as they are NOT one size fits all.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Here are the specs for your Rush.

specifications
ITEM
SPECIFICATION
Frame material
6061-T6, Tig welded, Aluminum Alloy
Maximum tire width
2.3"
Head tube
Headshok, OnePointFive
Maximum Fork Length
500mm
Seat post diameter
27.2 ±0.1 mm
Rear shock bushing width (frame mount)
32.4 ±0.1 mm
Rear shock bushing width (swingarm)
37.4 ±0.1 mm
Bolt diameter 8.1 ±0.5 mm
Rear shock eyelet-to-eyelet length
190 mm (7.5")
Rear wheel travel
110 mm
Rear shock stroke length
45mm
Rear shock leverage ratio
3:1 Regressive
Front derailleur
Bottom pull Top Swing 31.8mm

Bottom bracket shell (width, thread type)
68mm, English /SI Hollowgram
Chain Line
47.5 mm
Dropout Spacing
135 mm
Rear hub spacing
135 mm
Rear axle
Quick Release
Rear brake mount
International Standard,
6"
Recommended Sag
25-30%

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Correct

Ramjm_2000 said:
Thanks for the input but now I'm a bit confused. Did you use the X.9 on a Rush or a Rize? If on a Rush you'd need a low clamp bottom pull, not a top pull correct? :confused:
Correct and your clamp size is 31.8

·
Registered
554 Posts
danoalb said:
I'm not sure what your Rush would need but I assume you know. They make every configuration for the low mount. I use the low mount on my m500 hardtail which is a top swing bottom pull. On the other hand my Rize uses a bottom swing (traditional) top pull. The X9's are dedicated top or bottom pull and also the band clamps are dedicated also (no spacers) thats one of the reasons they are lighter as they don't have to pull dual duty. If you run a low mount (top swing) bottom pull now all you have to do is get the band clamp size and pull direction right as they are NOT one size fits all.
Do you know the weight of the x9?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
danoalb said:
Here are the specs for your Rush.

specifications
ITEM
SPECIFICATION
Frame material
6061-T6, Tig welded, Aluminum Alloy
Maximum tire width
2.3"
Head tube
Headshok, OnePointFive
Maximum Fork Length
500mm
Seat post diameter
27.2 ±0.1 mm
Rear shock bushing width (frame mount)
32.4 ±0.1 mm
Rear shock bushing width (swingarm)
37.4 ±0.1 mm
Bolt diameter 8.1 ±0.5 mm
Rear shock eyelet-to-eyelet length
190 mm (7.5")
Rear wheel travel
110 mm
Rear shock stroke length
45mm
Rear shock leverage ratio
3:1 Regressive
Front derailleur
Bottom pull Top Swing 31.8mm

Bottom bracket shell (width, thread type)
68mm, English /SI Hollowgram
Chain Line
47.5 mm
Dropout Spacing
135 mm
Rear hub spacing
135 mm
Rear axle
Quick Release
Rear brake mount
International Standard,
6"
Recommended Sag
25-30%
I appreciate all the effort you put into looking all this stuff up but that's not the question. I already know that I need a low clamp/bottom pull FD. The issue is does the X.9 actually fit without any significant tire rub or contact with the swing arm? As you probably know, what might fit on paper may not actually fit in real life, hence the question. I'm looking for real life experience with the combo.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
I don't have a answer for you on that but if the LX works fine the X9 should not be a problem. On my hardtail m500 c-dale the clearance seems to be the same in regards to the cage. The pivot points themselves on the X9 have much more clearance the the wide link LX.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Funny I found this thread because im beyond fed up with my Shimano LX on my Rush 4. Yesterday the pivot backed out and i had to leave manually put my chain into the middle ring and lost my front shifting for the day.

I was also thinking X9 FD or trying the XT.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Just a quick FYI so that folks searching for the same info have some real life advice. As suspected, the X.9 Low clamp 31.8 bottom pull works just fine mounted up to the Rush. Mine weighed in right at 120gms, about 30 grams lighter than the dual size/dual pull shimano it replaced. Performance wise, this derailleur is heads and tails above the stock one (at least with twist shifters). The cage shape/width seems much better suited to the shift points on the shifters (ie less trimming), I like. The only negative I found was the placement of the limit screws. When mounted, it is extremely difficult to access due to the swing arm placement. I'd imagine it would be an issue on most all elevated chainstay frames (maybe be not but I'm sure it would have been on my Superlight). That said I luckily had a few different screw drivers that allowed me to finesse my way to the set screws. Had I not, I probably would have had to swing the FD to an accessible position for the adjustment and then try again. Could have been a big PITA. Overall though, very satisfied with the shifting and performance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the update Ramjm. I think I will be going this route once im though pounding my Shimano LX into the ground with snow and road salt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.