Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently went to SRAM from shimano. Needed new shifters, and got the cheap X-7's and a new X-7 rear derailleur to match.

So far I've been under impressed (though not hating it at all), with the X-7's shifting. Not as crisp as my shimano stuff seemed to. How much better would the X-9 be (both from a shifter and rear derailleur perspective)?

That being said, I haven't had to adjust it at all yet, except for the rear hanger that I put to a 45angle to the cassette....which funny enough, caused zero functional damage to the derailleur.

·
Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
I have both...

I have both the x.7 and the x.9 on different bikes and for some reason the x.7 was a little harder to setup. I had to crank the b adjustment farther back toward the middle of the cassette. After that though, both seem virtually the same. I run x.9 shifters with x.9 der. and x.7 shifters with the x.7 der.
I have been totally impressed with both setups compared to deore and xt stuff from shimano. I guess the best thing is how they stay adjusted longer and have less input from suspension and bouncing on the trail, that, I assume is from the b adjustment as opposed to the b-spring on the shimano products.
I don't think switching to the x.9 will really help you.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
It's been mentioned here before but for some reason the SRAM derailleurs like that b-tension screw setup precislely. Read the directions and adjust it right and all of the ESP and X series derailleurs (all that I've tried anyway) will shift great.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
not a direct comparison...

my bike came with deore shifters and an xt der - went to x7 shifters and x9 der. way better, imho. But my thumb was a little sore the first couple of weeks... strange, eh?

·
Registered
79 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
I just recently went to SRAM from shimano. Needed new shifters, and got the cheap X-7's and a new X-7 rear derailleur to match.

So far I've been under impressed (though not hating it at all), with the X-7's shifting. Not as crisp as my shimano stuff seemed to. How much better would the X-9 be (both from a shifter and rear derailleur perspective)?

That being said, I haven't had to adjust it at all yet, except for the rear hanger that I put to a 45angle to the cassette....which funny enough, caused zero functional damage to the derailleur.
I've been running the X-9s for about 6 wks. Before I had XT triggers and an XTR derailleur. I find the X-9 shifts more precisely and am glad I made the switch. Maybe you should take your bike to your LBS and have them check the set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.