Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm upgrading the shifters on my bike. Right now, I'm using an 8 speed shimano setup but I want to move up to a nine speed Sram setup. I will buy a X.9 rear derralieur and will need new shifters. I am not sure which would be better, X.9 or X.7. I thought at first I was going to go X.9 but then my friend bought a pair of X.7's and he really likes them, especially with the $50 pricetag. How do they hold up and perform compared to the X.9's paired with the X.9 rear deralieur?
Can you use the front shifter with a Shimano deralieur?
Thanks!
-Jack

The only reason I'm considering the X.7 is because of the price.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I ran the X7's for quite a while. They work fine. But I have to say I can feel a little difference in shifting with the X9's.
I can't say they perform better, but it feels crisper. Both shift well.
Keep in mind that with the X9 you will not have shift indicators if that is an issue.
Also, with X9 you have to remove the cover when you want to install a new cable. The X7 is easier to put a fresh cable in.
they both seem durable enough. I haven't had any problems, but I don't crash alot so can't speak on that.
I think you'd be perfectly happy with X7.
I run an X9 medium cage rear der.
And it isn't a problem using a shimano front der. In fact, alot of bikes spec'd with sram groups come with a shimano front mech.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Agreed...

the X9 shifter does feel crisper. The lever through is also a bit shorter on the X9 than on the X7. But otherwise both perform quite well. And as noted the X7 does allow for easier cable changes than the X9 shifter does. The really nice feature with the X9 is the ability to adjust the position of the shifter pod on the clamp. By removing a small allen screw you can detacth the pod from the clamp and move it inboard or outboard. The feature gives you extra adjustability when it come to setting up the ideal position for the shift levers. And again as noted, you'll be able to use shimano front derailleurs with either shifter. Either will work fine, it's just a matter of your budget and what features are important to you.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much more?

Ok, thanks for the help, but what if I can buy them for only $50 more? Would you buy them as an investment or would you just use the cheaper ones till they die?
I've always had a little needle telling me what gear i'm in but I guess I could live without one.
-Jack

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
mtnbkmann said:
Ok, thanks for the help, but what if I can buy them for only $50 more? Would you buy them as an investment or would you just use the cheaper ones till they die?
I've always had a little needle telling me what gear i'm in but I guess I could live without one.
-Jack
It depends if that 50bux could be better used else where. I run X7 shifter + X9 derailleur, and don't see any reason to change that. I heard somewhere on the interwebz that X7 shifters are basically a few year old X9's anyway.

I have the needle, don't care either way, if pedaling is too hard I shift up (the cassette), if its to easy I shift down, at some point I run out of gears and that's that (1X9 setup) it doesn't mater if the needle tells me 6.

Mind you if that 50bux is burning a hole in your pocket and you want X9 bling all around, then go for it...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Both will work well. The new X9 (with the removable clamp) works just as well as the X0 ones on another bike (Zero Loss cable travel). I've used X7's a few years ago, and they worked fine. Changing a cable on the rear shifter is difficult on the new X9's (assuming it is the same as an X0).

·
Noob!
35 Posts
Here are the x-7 for 49.99
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4352

here are the x-9 for 79.99 for 09's
http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-9-TRIGGER-SHIFTERS-2009-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ230316650001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item230316650001&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

or $55 for 07's
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sram-X-9-Trigger-Shifters-3x9-Speed_W0QQitemZ180307198425QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item180307198425&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.