Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to move to an X-5 from my old Pantera. I can not decide between a 19 inch, 21 inch or some custom size configuration.

I am 6 - 2 with a 36.5 inch inseam (using wrench science measuring method) and long arms - relatively short torso. The 21 inch Pantera fits well; however I would not want a bike that feels much bigger. I am currently dialed-in running a 100 mm stem.

Looking at the charts the XL X-5 is slightly larger than the Pantera: effective top-tube is 24.9 versus 24.7, Seat tube length is 21.9 versus 21, wheelbase is 44.8 versus 44.2 and stand over height is 30.6 versus 27.5. I realize that the measurements for the X-5 probably assume 125 mm fork, while the Pantera assume 100 mm. I typically ran my Talas fork at 115 mm with the Pantera. I plan on using the Talas on the X-5 for now; however I will probably want to move up to a 130 mm Marzocchi at some point.

Has anyone ridden the two bikes in the 21 inch size and notice if the X-5 feels much bigger? I live in Houston and none of our local bike shops carry a regular stock of Ventanas on the floor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm 6'1" and fit nicely on the 19" frame. There is plenty of seatpost adjustment left and I'm only using a 90mm stem. I would try to avoid going up to the XL size because it uses a full X-braced frame, which I think makes the bike look ungainly. Of course this last point is purely a personal preference!

·