Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Romic coil shock from FoShizzle yesterday for my X 5 and downloaded the owner's manual from Romic's site. (Thanks Fo!!) This is my first coil shock, so I'm a little intimidated by the set up. Romic's manual is vague when it comes to setting preload/sag. It says in big letters - "Never use more than 3 full turns of preload to adjust sag." 3 full turns starting from what point? From where the spring is no longer loose on the shock body? Does "3 full turns" mean three 360 degree rotations of the adjustable spring retainer?

Also, does anyone have a chart as to what spring rate one is supposed to use on the X 5 when taking into account the rider's weight? FoShizzle generously sent two springs to me - the 450lb x 2.25 and the 400lb x 2.25. My weight, with Camelbak and all geared up, ranges anywhere from 170 to 185 during the year. Which spring should I use?

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Romic shocks!

Earthpig said:
Just got my Romic coil shock from FoShizzle yesterday for my X 5 and downloaded the owner's manual from Romic's site. (Thanks Fo!!) This is my first coil shock, so I'm a little intimidated by the set up. Romic's manual is vague when it comes to setting preload/sag. It says in big letters - "Never use more than 3 full turns of preload to adjust sag." 3 full turns starting from what point? From where the spring is no longer loose on the shock body? Does "3 full turns" mean three 360 degree rotations of the adjustable spring retainer?

Also, does anyone have a chart as to what spring rate one is supposed to use on the X 5 when taking into account the rider's weight? FoShizzle generously sent two springs to me - the 450lb x 2.25 and the 400lb x 2.25. My weight, with Camelbak and all geared up, ranges anywhere from 170 to 185 during the year. Which spring should I use?

Hey Earthpig!

I have owned two romic shocks and I have a strong feeling I am going to get another one in the near future! :D My own experience is that with the right spring, I have never exceeded turning the spring retainer more than 2 full turns past when retainer is resting somewhat firmly on the spring to get proper sag! Meaning the spring cannot rattle or be real loose when you start to preload to adjust your sag! I would try each spring and use the one you can get proper sag with least amount of turns to achieve it! TIG.

·
Registered
945 Posts
yes, yes, and yes. ;)
I would start with 450lb spring if you lean more towards 185lbs, 400lbs if closer to 170.

-Sp

Earthpig said:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Earthpig said:

Glad it made it.....for what it is worth, I used the 450lb spring the entire time I had the 5" rockers and it felt perfect....I weight about 175-180 without gear. I never tried the other spring cause I got that as an extra with the new 6" Romic I bought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts