Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into Ventana as my next bike purcchase, and I love to look of the X-5. I would, however, order it in 4" travel because I don't need the full 5" of travel. I was wondering, however, would this also allow the use of a 4" fork instead of the 5"/130mm fork:confused: ? Thanks!

matt

·
Registered
753 Posts
matteus said:
I'm looking into Ventana as my next bike purcchase, and I love to look of the X-5. I would, however, order it in 4" travel because I don't need the full 5" of travel. I was wondering, however, would this also allow the use of a 4" fork instead of the 5"/130mm fork:confused: ? Thanks!

matt
You would need to check the length of the fork so that with the 4" rockers you dont lower the BB height to much.

·
Two Tired
397 Posts
I have a Pike with U-turn, so it is fully adjustable. I really like it and it seems like most others have been happy with it. This solution would also work if you changed your mind about the full 5" travel. I have the standard 5" travel and it has never been a problem uphill and it is great on the downhills.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Get a Pike. If you grow into the bike's abilities, you'll be happy to have the adjustable travel and thru-axel.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
I ran my X-5 in both 4" & 5" rear travel but used a Talas up front. When in 4" mode I ran the fork at 110mm and it handled nice. But I had a 2004 X-5 which had a HA/SA akind to the El Salty. Ventana frames ride really great with 5 inches in the rear and an adjustable fork up front which will allow you to dial in according to trail.

You will get a lot of great opinions from this board but when it's all said and you're ready to lay down the green backs........

To quote D-Rock, " When you're through f*@kin' around, you call Sherwood!"

That's a great quote.....rings so true. Sherwood will spend the time to understand your bike needs. Then when you know what you want call Chad or Larry

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
When in 4" mode I ran the fork at 110mm and it handled nice.
So this gave you no problems with BB height or the like? I do like the idea of running a TALAS up front to pop it up for DHs, but it bothers me that people just keep getting longer and longer travel bikes and not needing them, because most of the trails we're riding were the same as they were 5 years ago... I know personally I won't use 5" of travel, thus I want only 4", however, one reason that I am looking at Ventana (besides the other numerous reasons) is that you can adjust the travel. So if I do outgrow the 4", I can swap. But the adjustable travel up front I was considering for DH, as it would be nice to pop it up to 130mm and fly! Thanks for the input guys.

matt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stripes said:
Why don't you think about getting an El Salt in an X-brace instead of getting an X-5 if you really want to run 4" of travel? That way it handles fine with the 4" of travel, but looks like an X-5 :D You would be AMAZED at what Sherwood can do :thumbsup:
:shocked: they can do something like that? :shocked:

I love the x bar look, and I hear it gives some extra stiffness:thumbsup: But I had no idea I could customize it like that... ohhh... now the possibilities are endless... my gf is going to kill me. Thanks for the info! Oh, Stripes, is that your x-brace Salt on the Mere Mortals website, or the X-5? Thanks again!

matt

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Stripes...

You said your rig was a standard X5. What size is it? I too have the same problem of standover. I'm 5' 6.5" but have a long torso and same inseam as you mentioned. 28-28.5"
Know a rider who is 5' 4" and has a custom Salty (X style frame).
Your frame looks like it'd be fine for me. Just wondering if I need to go custom to get the standover that a small would offer with the TT length of the next size up.
Just kicking it around.
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.