Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shimano XTR shadow rear derailleur - RD-M972-SGS. Im currently using XTR rapidfire shifters but would like to switch to gripshift to save weight. Would gripshift and Shimano der. work together?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
no.

edit.

Different pull ratios.

JTek used to make something IIRC to mate campagnolo & shimano, but if there was something for SRam & shimano, using it would pretty much negate any weight savings.

You could get some SRam attack grip shifters, they work with shimano. About the same weight as X0 IIRC.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You need Sram Attack shifters with 2:1 ratio. I have it paired with XT long cage and works great. You can also find the older plasma shifters on ebay.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
You just need Shimano compatible Grip-Shifters.

I personally prefer the older Plasma over the newer versions. I don't like the mushy feel of the X.O

Attacks are very good as well but the rubber grip is just too smooth for wet/dirty hands and all newer shifters got heavier....therefore i prefer the Plamas which have a nice feel and great grip.

Shown below:
Sram Plasma: 153g
Sram Attack: 169g (wires are 27g/pair)

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nino,

I have been looking for a set of plasma's for about six months. In the US I never seem to run into the on ebay. If you have any ideas on where to find some could you pm me?

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
228 Posts
So let me get this right. The Sram Plasma shifters won't work on a Sram X.0 derailleur? If that's the case I'll have a set on E-bay in about a week.

·
sometimes cheeky
128 Posts
From my point of view the Plasma's are not state of current technology. I ride these shifter 12 years ago (or more!). They are slower and not that precise as current Rockets or Attacks. They are only light.
With really simple tuning you get a Sram shifter also down to 161g. For only 8g I would never get these horrible performing yesterday shifters.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
but it is also possible to add a small lever to the rear XTR deraleur (similar to speen, small bit of aluminium), it had to be 15 or 17mm length, I don't remember right now, that changes the ratio for the cage and makes possible to use a X0 shifter...

Anyway, I don't see the point, having X0 rears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts