Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the Orange X-Factor before swapping:
1) Magura Marta's for the Avid Mech's (lord knows how much less- quite a bit)
2) Syntace adjustable stem and carbon 26" bar (fabulous set-up, German made, and light)
3) A lexan bash guard, 100 grams less
4) A Syncros carbon seat post, 70 grams less
5) A lighter WTB saddle- 120g less
6) Crossmax UST - lighter
7) IRC Serac tubeless tires- tubes are gone now
8) 6" rockers (5.32" travel)- no change in weight
9) Removed bar ends- 120g less
10) PUSH mod. to Fox Float- the biggest upgrade of all.

All tolled a very serious weight reduction and "better" parts.

Rebuttals or constructive criticism about the set up, bring 'em on.

Thanks, peace...

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kristian said:
Your spec list is a little on the weight-weenie side for my taste, but I sure like the look of your orange X6! I want one!
Yes, I am weight obsessed. However, this is a solid, burly, ripping ride. XC with an attitude to go on the bad side of the trail. There's nothing week about it, do you think? Your comment leads me to believe you perceive some aspect as questionable? Specifically what would that be? I won't take it personally, just endlessly curious?
Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kristian said:
Your spec list is a little on the weight-weenie side for my taste, but I sure like the look of your orange X6! I want one!
Ventana still has some closeout reductions on inventory of '04 version like mine at $1595.
Peace,

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
49 mm of spacing; 5 rockers

Aye, aye, lots of spacing for first ride out on that flat bar. I wanted to be sure to remain one with the bike upon re-entry into the bumpy trails of Gotham Forest. The Syntace bar-stem system took care of that issue beautifully.

I had not yet installed all the upgrades listed in the original post when this photo was taken. Y'all must think I am delusional talkign about parts that aren't in the photo.
So yes, the 6" had not been installed.

Okay, so you've seen one X5 maybe you've seen them all. I'm just trying to offer some diversion. Soon I'll post it with the listed upgrades and with the rear firing JATO rockets attached to the seat post. :)

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
wyatt said:
Yes, I am weight obsessed. However, this is a solid, burly, ripping ride. XC with an attitude to go on the bad side of the trail. There's nothing week about it, do you think? Your comment leads me to believe you perceive some aspect as questionable? Specifically what would that be? I won't take it personally, just endlessly curious?
Thanks!
Week is in the eye of the beholder (or the butt of the rider?). I would destroy those wheels in a matter of a few rides. I am not the greatest rider and seem to be very tough on XC rear wheels. I only ride DH and freeride rims now and my wallet has been much happier since the switch. I also have a phobia of all things carbon, but that is due to the number of times my bike hits the ground. Of course like I mentioned, that is probably more of an issue of (lack of) riding style on really rough trails than anything else--I'm sure they will be fine for you.

Thanks for the tip on the 04 X5s, but I'm more interested in the newer ones with the slacker head angle. My goal is to build one up somewhere in the sub 35 pound range as a lighter alternative to my Bullit. That is of course on the assumption I can ever afford one! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.