Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably too new for anyone to have seen it yet. I think it just got introduced 2-3 weeks ago. Read about it in Popular Science/Mechanics.
Novel piece of engineering... fits on any bike, provides a larger rear contact patch than even the fattest tire available, adds some rear suspension, is compatible with disc or V-brakes, and still provides 6 cogs. However, with an msrp of $400 plus $140 for the front ski attachment, it seems better suited to, and more worthwhile for someone who's often surrounded by groomed or packed snow- like Alaskans.
Website says maximum depth is reached when the snow interferes with your pedal stroke so probably no deeper than 4-6". And it says it's designed for "soft or yielding terrain" so it's probably not a good idea to ride it when lots of paved surfaces are showing through the snow either- to avoid "extreme wear" of the polyurethane track and "potential for damage" to the unit. So for those of us in the surrounding NY metro area, a pair of 2.5" tires would be more cost effective and handle a greater variety of winter terrain. Perhaps if it were discounted to $200 for the set, I'd be more inclined to give in to such a winter indulgence.

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
They sent me tis not too long ago

It is our goal to provide you with the very best product at the very best price. Therefore we are continually researching and testing new technology and materials to enhance the Ktrak further. For this reason, our development team has elected to upgrade the Ktrak's main wheel and idler frames from Nylon to Magnesium. This one change will significantly increase the durability of the Ktrak and decrease its weight.

This decision has created a setback in production and thus has delayed the release date approximately 60 days. We regret this delay but believe the improved product is well worth the wait.

As this is a more expensive material, there will be a slight price adjustment. However, this price increase will not affect the customers who reserved through the GET ONE special offer. We will honor the pricing stated to all in our database. You get a superior product for the same discounted price!

I guess it'll be more than $400 with all that Magnesium. I "reserved" one, but don't think I'll pull the trigger. Looks good from far but maybe far from good.
I was gonna skip the ski up front and just use the rear wheel for the snowmobile trail riding.
A Ktrak plus a BikesOnSnow ski type front and you could have a really fun human powered snowmobile!
They're running out of winter(at least in this hemisphere) for a product launch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.