Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't used anything other than simple fixtures/jigs on the whole project (with the exception of the Daltex's Bringheli Straightening Jig, thanks again, Glenn) until today. So in other words, anyone wanting to build a frame with a flat surface and files could do that if they had access with a tig welder following all these posts I suppose.

Well, I did order my first Anvil tool to do this:

That's a Pacenti tab and here it is rough cut:

And here it is mitered. This was fairly easy to do but just took some time and the little files. I actually used the cutoff wheel to cut a slot start the half-round in. That's a good tip I think. It fit up nicely:

Cleaned up and ready to tack:

Tacked and checked to make sure it's good before it gets welded:

Welded with the brake fitted. I think this metal is cheap or something. It didn't weld nicely and it seemed to have slag on it after welding. I cleaned it up really well, but I'm going to try a PMW tab next time:

It spins, check out the funky way the spokes got captured:

And the pads look good:

WWTP034 will be chased and faced BB shell and faced HT. I have an appointment set up for that mid-week this week.

So what about riding it prior to having the SS and CS braces in? Should I just wait and do all the facing/chasing/braces this week or can I go to the LBS, get everything done and go for a ride and worry about the braces later?

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Do a brace for the brake

I never do CS bridges unless a fender mounting point is needed there. And the SS bridge isn't a big deal, really, though it's nice to do. But I would recommend putting a brace between the SS and CS to support the SS under the disc tab. I've seen frames break there, and you've thrown a LOT of heat at that stay at this point.

-Walt

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
you could do as walt does and use some old chain rings or rotors as some decretive bridges for the CS since they really aren't needed, it will help you get more practice in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.