Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
895 Posts
Stans rim tape adds 8g to each wheel. I just taped my wheels a few days ago for the first time. i29 30mm tape. I wouldn't use anything else next time since it stuck great and was easy to apply. Just make sure you clean your rims with alcohol first.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Find your tape of choice and cut little bits and pieces that fit over the spoke holes.

Sealant will fill in the gaps at the shelf between the tape bits. Probably save you about 25% of the tape.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stans rim tape adds 8g to each wheel. I just taped my wheels a few days ago for the first time. i29 30mm tape. I wouldn't use anything else next time since it stuck great and was easy to apply. Just make sure you clean your rims with alcohol first.
Is that all it weighs?

I've never actually taped wheels before. Do I just tape it to feel the trough or what? How wide of tape do I buy?

Thanks, I think I'll go with the Stan's.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't know why one couldn't just do the well. I haven't seen a picture of one that way though.

Here's my tape job.
Specialized/Roval 31mm. I bought 30mm tape. I believe the box says it will tape 4 wheels?

The seams should overlap a few inches. You might notice a darker area -that is the double layer near the valve stem hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Tape application is not directional as far as I know.

Yes overlap the valve hole. Start by facing the valve hold and apply tape to the left (for instance) a few inches and wrap to the right. Continue all the way around clockwise and stop a few inches beyond the hole.

This guy from Stans says start opposite the valve hole. I don't recall hearing that before.

Video starts at the taping procedure. Earlier in the video is some discussion of take size selection, wheel prep, etc.

With this said, I taped a set of wheels 2 years ago with Gorilla tape. Then a year ago with Stans (redid the Gorilla job since I had the tires broke down).
Haven't had to tape a wheel aside from these 2 times.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'll break down my tire here shortly (I have a tire that needs to be replaced).
It has been Stans taped (Chameleon) but not sure if my shop applied tape or if the wheel came pre taped from Santa Cruz.

I'll let you know how it's been overlapped.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yeah, the Stans video demonstrates starting opposite the valve hole at the weld.

I did my own overlapping at the valve hole (the 31mm rim). The newest pic, 40mm was taped by the shop or Santa Cruz (assuming the factory).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I feel that in the video he doesn’t stretch the tape nearly enough. I pull mine way way tighter and is seats with no bubbles. I am yet to break tape by pulling it too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,178 Posts
Well, this is pretty light. It works, but it's kind of a PITA to remove and leaves some residue (can clean with alcohol, etc.). Has a little bit of a learning curve.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle part

Keep in mind, this is a fatbike wheel. I think when I did this on an XC wheel it was more like 2g. The problem is the width of the tape, you gotta get the width that matches the rim fairly close.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Gorilla tape weighs about 9 pounds per wheel after it soaks up a gallon of coolant. ;)

I did a pretty sloppy tyvek install on my last rim. I trimmed the tape for a 27mm rim, but used it on a 24mm rim, so it went quite a bit up the wall and required trimming. Honestly, went on easier than any tape ive used. Tyvek is so stretchy that its a dream to install. Seals great, lays great, weighs nothing... its just messy coming off. I realized I change tires too much to deal with that mess.

Just use stans in a width made for your rims. It weighs nothing too.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
^I'd agree with that. Tyvek is great for repairs though, due to its extra adhesive compared to stans. I personally don't like taping up onto the rim bead/seat. I find this leads to rumples in the tape and peeling if you remove/install tires often. I heat the rim and tape with a heat gun as I go and stretch the tape. This method has been flawless for me.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Stan's says to overlap opposite the valve hold. Anyway I've done it both ways successfully.
I agree, don't overlap at valve hole. if you do, the valve gasket needs to work against two layers of tape and additional chance of wrinkles, seepage or air loss. overlap but not at the valve ensures the valve and gasket can tighten very well against one layer of tape. with two layers of tape the tighter you go might make the tape slip against itself and wrinkle a bit....

do whatcha want but logic (to me) says one layer at valve hole for simplicity and integrity of the valve and gasket

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,178 Posts
I agree, don't overlap at valve hole. if you do, the valve gasket needs to work against two layers of tape and additional chance of wrinkles, seepage or air loss. overlap but not at the valve ensures the valve and gasket can tighten very well against one layer of tape. with two layers of tape the tighter you go might make the tape slip against itself and wrinkle a bit....

do whatcha want but logic (to me) says one layer at valve hole for simplicity and integrity of the valve and gasket
Yep. I do it on the opposite side and it works like a charm.

Another little tip I recently learned (probably should have learned earlier) is to heat up a nail or similar to make your valve hole-get it hot and then use the heat to melt the hole. No tears.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.