Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
weekend warrior
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the more value for money parts that i can change to lighten my bike?

Its currently sitting at 29.1lbs or 13.2kg. Would like to get it to 24lb-ish or around 11kg.

I would like to keep the frame & fork, and stay out of carbon as much as possible.

The bike will see mainly for aggressive xc trails and epic road rides.

Heres the specs of my bike, as detailed as i can recall

Frame Vertical Dropout Inbred
Fork Reba SL 09
Crankset XTR 952
Chain Dura Ace
FD XT M770
RD XTR 970
Cassette Deore 08
Shifters SLX M660
Brakes SLX M665
Hubs WTB Speed Disc XC
Rims WTB Speed Masters
Spokes WTB
Tires Kenda Nevegal
Headset Cane Creek S8
Grips Lizard Skin Peaty
Handlebar ABR Flight
Stem ABR Flipside
Seat Post Thomson Elite 27.2 410mm
Seat Clamp Spank Bolt-on
Saddle Fi'zik Gobi XM
Pedals XT 08

I'm thinking a XTR/Revo/355 wheelset to replace my existing one when it blows and new tires (Race King SS) to go along with it.

Where else can i see significant weight savings? New cockpit? My existing stem & handlebar is 444g together. Grips/Seatclamp/go 1x9?

·
WTF
292 Posts
Wheels look good, I personally wouldn't use revolution spokes, but that is just me, many use them to good results. Check out the Olympics rims, mine weighed in at 320g :thumbsup:

Those nevegals weigh a ton, there are great options for tires under 500g.

Handlebar and stem can def. drop some weight. Syntace is about the lightest stem around, but I perfer Thomson because it is still Lightish and sexy as all hell.

Foam grips are a WW must

Ritchey makes a decent alu bar

tires and wheels will be you most cost effective and and noticable weight savings.

Brakes, Avid Elixers are light and powerful, not sure how much weight will drop over slx, just check sram and shimano sites, weights are posted

slx shifter, could drop some go to xtr, IMO replace when they wear out, not worth weight/performance per price

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
You can't really just post in the WW forum, and find the silver bullet for your over weight bike. Create a spreadsheet with all the components on your bike, then buy an digital kitchen scale with at least single gram resolution. Weight all the components and enter the weights into the spreadsheet. Once you have that, you can quickly and easily see where you can save weight the most effectively. Then you'll stand a chance of hitting your target weight.

·
WTF
292 Posts
You should trust it.

The airline industry is trusting it, Boeing 787.

Moto GP racer are useing it for INTERNAL engine parts, holy crap! :eekster:

The only thing I can see being leery of is carbon cranks because they get beat up by rocks and such a lot. And maybe carbon saddle rails, but I think I may try them.

But, not everything that is carbon is neccessarily lighter, My carbon ritchey post, expensive, yes, strong, yes, light? NOPE.

However, you can weight weenie pretty well even avoiding composites.

1+ on the gram scale and weighing everything, there is a wealth of good info on this forum, but you have to provide good info to get best results. Pics are good too, just becasue people like me are ADD and get destracted is we dont have pikturs...ooo shiny

·
weekend warrior
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I will try to steal/beg/borrow a scale to weight the components.

Next in my list of upgrades will be the wheel/tires followed by the cockpit + grips, then MAYBE the slx components.

As for carbon, its more of a mental thing with all the "watch the torque" and "sudden failure with just a hairline crack" kind of issues i've read up almost everywhere.

BTW i weigh 73kg, 160lbs

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Boeing using carbon is a lot different than a bike component manufacturer using carbon.

Carbon still breaks too often for me, and breaks in nasty ways. Yes it usually attributable to bad installation or crash damage, but the fact is it's still broken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.