Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
i got the white SAS rims in 36h, and they have held up pretty good. Lots of dirty landings and cases. So far sao good. Have about 1.5yrs on the ones i have now. The seams kinda bother me as they are not welded all the way through and have separated a little where they are not welded, but that happened a loooong time ago and they havent failed me yet. I think that the reg combat rims are not welded. once these rims are done, i am gonna go with sun MTX.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
I had Combats on my HT (Still have the rear) - they have stood up to some hard cases (Concrete wall/ledge case - SHARP edge) - Rock gardens - and even a head on tree hit at 20+ that snapped my axle and I ripped my seat off, bent my thomson post!

However, when I landed, ahem, hit the ground off a 9' where I slipped a pedal and landed with the front wheel sideways - POTATO CHIP

OK - that story was fo0r amusement - any rim is folding off a 9' if you land like I did...

I like em - I hear the SAS are better because of doubleed eyeletes.. definitely a good rim!

I need to try:

MTX
Trail Pimp DHR (I hear these are actually rebranded, and Halo has same branded as something else, anyone know for sure?)
Arrow FRX

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
free-rider_down-hiller said:
I think the combat rims are the ones that i heard dent really easy but i may be mistaken.
It has kindof a soft metal, most dents are caused by inadequate tire pressure when doing drops. You have to make sure that you have enough tire pressure that the tire won't compress enough to let the rim contact the ground.

I've got the SAS wheels. Stronggggg. I love them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
zeeth2800 said:
halo combats?....looking 4 strong rims
I was going to buy the Combats but the shop suggested the Halo SAS instead. Very tough rim at a nice price. They have held up great....I'd definitely recommend them. I don't think you can go wrong wiht the Combats but for a little more $$ the SAS seems worth the money..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.