Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· EDR
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a gravel bike since last year. However we signed a contract on a new build home back in August and we closed in mid-february. Needless to say funds for the new bike had to wait for various reasons.

Anyhow been looking at The Growler IPA American session for months now. Hopped on the website the other day to maybe pre-order or pull the trigger if available and the least expensive option of that bike has gone up from around $2,400 to $3500! Over $1,000 price increase in their lowest available selection.

I'm fed up with bike shopping this year. I'm fed up with covid and I'm fed up with supply chain problems and inflation. I'm just fed up.

Would have been nice if the guys at Growler would have mentioned in our email chain from a month ago that if I didn't pre-order right away (which was presented as an option) I would be locked out of my price range. Now I'm back to looking at major manufacturers like specialized and giant. Ughhh.

Anyhow I totally understand bike prices are first world problems and everybody in the world is going through similar situations and worse.

Thanks for listening. My bike search moves on I guess.

:Rant off

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

· Registered
377 Posts
I hear you. It does seem unjust at a personal level. I look at what I spent on my Niner RLT and feel it’s better not to write that number down. So that don’t see it and pass out.

Gravel bikes are big right now. So there are many choices, expand your search for a gravel bike, look a manufacturer that you may not have in the past. It will soon be winter in the northern hemisphere and maybe you’ll find a bike you’ll like and can accept the price.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,147 Posts
From a quick Google search:
"Free enterprise, also known as free market or capitalism, is an economic system driven by supply and demand. Private businesses and consumers control the marketplace with little to no interference from the government."
-Bankrate.com

· Registered
119 Posts
A 50% bump does seem excessive. According to stuff I've read in various places and according to my LBS owner, supply chain related price increases for finished bikes are around 7% to 10% this year... That's what my LBS guy has seen pretty much across the board. Sounds like the Growler folks are seeing their available production oversubscribed by a factor large enough that they think they can get away with the 50% bump on their prices. I certainly wouldn't buy from someone that appears to be gouging.

· Registered
250 Posts
i just checked and it looks like the american Session IPA (sram Apex) is 2100$ and is "out of stock" in the title however it looks like only the 51cm is out of stock (line though the size). same goes for the Sram rival group set (2600$) where as the Sram force (3800$) has all sizes.

unless when you add these to your cart and check out it shows up as sold out (i only got to the point where i would have to sign up with my email)

· EDR
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah it's frustrating because the Apex version might be online but in their email they told me they don't foresee ever selling a (gravel) bike under the 3K price point again. I guess I could call them and ask them if I could pre-order the Apex but I'm guessing the answer is no. They probably can't fulfill those orders due to supply issues.

Frame only is an option. Not the most economical way to go about buying a brand new bike though. Not to mention sourcing all the parts I need. It's just frustrating that's all. Heck with the frame only once I buy wheels and tires I'm approaching the full price point of the Apex build with a lot more to go. There's bigger problems in the world then my ability to buy a bike though.

On a side note, today I called every Trek dealer in the Phoenix area looking for a 27.5 2.4 Bontrager Team SE4 tire for the back of my mojo 3. Nobody has them in stock and one shop looked up on their dealer website and Trek is forecasting spring of 2022 for availability.

· ilmfat
1,313 Posts
Get a used 2014 ish 29er off craigslist. Even overpaying at $700, some fresh handbuilt wheels still puts you under frame only price. Drop bar and drivetrain bits and you'd be under $2k.

I get your disappointment. But calling it a price increase is disingenuous and erroneous.

· EDR
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get a used 2014 ish 29er off craigslist. Even overpaying at $700, some fresh handbuilt wheels still puts you under frame only price. Drop bar and drivetrain bits and you'd be under $2k.

I get your disappointment. But calling it a price increase is disingenuous and erroneous.

Okay totally understand what you're saying. I truly didn't intend to call out growler for increasing their prices 50%. My point, which I didn't word very well, was that the price to play has gone up $1,000 due to circumstances beyond their control.

I've exchanged several emails with them and they seem like a really cool company. Most recently they explained... "Material and shipping cost have increased 30.67% in the last 8 months. Inflation is real and its hitting the bicycle industry hard"

I honestly worry about companies like growler. It can't be easy to sell 3,500 to $5,000 bikes when most people looking for a bike have never even heard of them. It's a niche or a boutique company for sure, comparatively speaking.

· Registered
1,009 Posts
On a side note, today I called every Trek dealer in the Phoenix area looking for a 27.5 2.4 Bontrager Team SE4 tire for the back of my mojo 3. Nobody has them in stock and one shop looked up on their dealer website and Trek is forecasting spring of 2022 for availability.
I should start a business finding parts for people. I converted my MTB to full XT 1x12 this last winter. EVERYTHING was a hunt. Found the last 10-51 cassette in the country at the time. Built gravel bikes for my wife and I from the ground up in June. Found the last Gen 4 Warbird in my size in the country at the time (Salsa told me there were zero). Just found 2 GRX Di2 levers... they've been out of stock every where forever... diligence my friend.

Here's your tires: Bontrager SE4 Team Issue TLR 27.5-inch MTB Tire - www.summitbicycles.com

· ilmfat
1,313 Posts
You should have seen the tantrum I threw when Salsa discontinued the Deore level Timberjack and brought in an inferior framed replacement at the same pricepoint. No cheaper Alivio option to soften the blow, either. Just straight killed the budget TJ.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.