Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, I went to chek out the 2004 Stinky on www.konaworld.com and on the specs list, it says it comes stock with SingleTracks.

The 2004 Stinky I got a year ago at my LBS came with RynoLites! The price was still the MSRP. :confused:

Did I get screwed over?

G

·
Chikity China said:
Just out of curiosity, I went to chek out the 2004 Stinky on www.konaworld.com and on the specs list, it says it comes stock with SingleTracks.

The 2004 Stinky I got a year ago at my LBS came with RynoLites! The price was still the MSRP. :confused:

Did I get screwed over?
sometimes the spec lists on sites arnt always the same as the actual bike. It might say on the bottom of the page some thing like this:
"Spectifications may be subject to change without notice"

·
Registered
179 Posts
Based on Availability

The 2004 Stinky's actually came with Mavic rims originally (that's what mine came with), but then started showing up with Rhyno Lites. I was working at Fat Tire Farm when this was happening. Basically, if a company either runs out of parts or doesn't get delivery of them (as was the case with Mavic last year), they will substitute a "similar" product. Its actually pretty normal. So did you get screwed? I guess that's up to individual opinion. But don't worry, the hubs that come with the Stinky's suck big time and you'll probably need to replace the wheelset anyway (at least if you ride in the wet weather).

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
i just got my stinky in january of 2005 i think, from wheel world. and it came with the mavic 321's but now its riding 26 in the front wit a 24 in the rear (trail pimp) and yes its an 04..... srry to here about urs though

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dammit

got mine in early april, shudda waited a few months. poo

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wait! sumthin positive turned up.

while inspectin the bike today. i realized that the headset was a cane creek aheatset (not sure which one) instead of the crappy FSA one that usually comes stock :D

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Chikity China said:
wait! sumthin positive turned up.

while inspectin the bike today. i realized that the headset was a cane creek aheatset (not sure which one) instead of the crappy FSA one that usually comes stock :D
Is it a blank headset that just has "Aheadset manufactured for Cane Creek" written on it? If so, that thing is a POS. I replaced that with an FSA Pig right away.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrewpalooza said:
Is it a blank headset that just has "Aheadset manufactured for Cane Creek" written on it? If so, that thing is a POS. I replaced that with an FSA Pig right away.
shizzle

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Chikity China said:
Cro-Mo Forged
Mfg. by TH Industries for Cane Creek
on bottom

AHEADSET
on top
Yeah, same one I had. Doesn't keep out water or sand very well. I'd look into replacing that if I were you. A FSA Pig runs for about $20 and is an awesome headset. Look at the Pig DH Pro too, has replaceable cartridge bearings, and is only slightly more money.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Andrewpalooza said:
Yeah, same one I had. Doesn't keep out water or sand very well. I'd look into replacing that if I were you. A FSA Pig runs for about $20 and is an awesome headset. Look at the Pig DH Pro too, has replaceable cartridge bearings, and is only slightly more money.
yea, thx, ill definately consider that. but anyone know y mine came with a cane creek rather than the fsa one that says on the specs list? or did they run out of those to :rolleyes:

im still pissed that my chris king steelset never came although i ordered one through my lbs:mad:

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Chikity China said:
yea, thx, ill definately consider that. but anyone know y mine came with a cane creek rather than the fsa one that says on the specs list? or did they run out of those to :rolleyes:

im still pissed that my chris king steelset never came although i ordered one through my lbs:mad:
I'll bet that Kona stocks that headset on some lower-end XC bikes like the Dawg and they ran out of the FSA headsets, so they threw that in with your Stinky. You didn't pay for the Steelset did you? Either way go talk to the LBS and have them get one in for you. Its nigh indestructable.

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
My Stinky also came with 321's. It came with a Cane Creek Aheadset too. I thought that I had done alright knowing that Cane Creek makes some pretty high end headsets, but then I was riding with my friend and noticed he had the same headset on his Walamartastic Mongoose!
That's when I realized I needed a replacement.

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
Anyone know if a Pig DH Pro will fit on a Stinky? Or a Coiler. With the extra long bottom cup the head tube has to be machined deeper to fit it. Just curious b/c I have a DH Pro sitting around and the stock headset in my Coiler that i wouldn't mind replacing but I'm too lazy to check.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.