Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn you Homers (especially squeaky) for not forcing me to listen!!!

So I picked up a 2.5 Minion Triple C compound today at lunch tire figuring the Intense were WAY too heavy....which they are. I realized tonight that my rims (5.1) simply are lame with 2-ply tires, period. Now I know why my Intense 2.7 did not look that impressive once put on...

After putting the Minion on tonight and getting the final part of the bead over the tire immediately shriveled up like a prune...it was weird. Cause of course the sidewalls are way stiff on 2-ply, the width of the rims pulled in the entirety of the width of the tire since the sidewalls do not give any. Even when filled up with air they look like friggin 2.1s at best.....and the 2.7 Intense tire was no bigger than my single ply Advantage tires were.

WTF did I get rid of the Advantage tires for! They were awesome......damnit!

So now I am back to getting Advantage or Bettys. Only other tires I had laying around are single ply Minion 2.35 and they are way girly....also look like 2.1s, though not due to the 2-ply issue, just narrow to begin with.

And to make matters worse....no riding this weekend after all. I am just gonna sell the Turner....just kidding.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The 2.5 Nevagal is about the same footprint as the Advantage; the single ply version held up really well. I didn't have any problem with the side wall or pinch flats; they worked well. The 2-Ply 2.5 Nevagal would be cool; I can't imagine your rims are as narrow as mine. I've got 819 rims, the 2.5 Nevagal is wider than the 2.5 Minion-the 2-Ply Minion has a narrow profile with my rims too.

I ran the 2.35 2-ply Nevagal in the back and the 2.5 in the front-that was a pretty good set up. I used the Stick-E version here in WA, you'd probably want the Dual Tread Compound in Calif.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
FoShizzle said:
So now I am back to getting Advantage or Bettys. Only other tires I had laying around are single ply Minion 2.35 and they are way girly....also look like 2.1s, though not due to the 2-ply issue, just narrow to begin with.
I have sets of both the Advantage and BB - let me know what you want. :cool:

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Why bother riding? Your getting plenty of cardio changing those moto tires out. Larry should be getting my trail wheelset to me soon(I think), I'm going with Hadleys/5.1's, will my ghey XC single ply Fire FR/Minion 2.35 combo go on fairly easy? My Sun Ringle wheelset is a major beyotch to get tires on/off, I've pinched a few tubes which is very frustrating after the ordeal of getting the bead on.

No hurry on the response since were getting another focking snowstorm and it will be May before I actually ride again :rolleyes:

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Fo' no riding at all this weekend? All three days? that sucks!

I was going to ride today but the rain and family plans changed that. I'm confused by all this tire talk... what rims are you using?

I really had a poor relationship with the single-ply 2.5 Nevegals. I was PF'ing all over the place. The sidewalls felt squirmy in corners and made my bikes rear feel like all the bushings had gone slack. El C says he runs his at ~50psi for me that sort of counters the point of running bigger tires...but then I'm a UST whore so sue me.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
BZ UST rock imo still the best way I can't understand why Kenda don't do the Nev & BG in UST in bigger sizes even DH riders get these benefits , greg minnar soley racers UST has done for a few years Honda can't understand it either:confused:

other than changing tires and thats a lame excuse if ya change tires as much as I do ya get pretty good at it, though my minions will be in place for awhile I may even have them on there long enough to get some tire wear:thumbsup:

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
BZ-50 psi in the rear, and 40 in the front. This keeps the tire from rolling in corners, and prevents pinch flats. The rubber compound is so soft, that they hook up as well as a two ply with 30 psi.

Fo-Despite the narrow appearance of the maxxis, they really hook up. I never was a fan of the minions, but the highrollers hook as well as the advantages, even with their puney footprint.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trailadvent said:
Wait till ya try that 3c 2.5 minion dude it rocks just be patient and yes those DT 5.1s are ghey comparded to 34mm sun mtxs:D
honestly TA, they looked completely ghey. i should have got the 6.1 rims but alas, i did not. betty will be great i am sure! only downside is that bike will now be down under 36 lbs :(

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Fo- the Nevegal is a GREAT socal tire! Are you kidding me?

I ran 2.35s in the Santa Monicas with superb results, probably 35 PSI rear. When we moved to SLC and started doing more DH-ish stuff at Deer Valley, I went with the DH 2 ply 2.5. They are whales, but you might like that. Plus you can run about 28psi. Also had great luck with the folding 2.5s for trail riding.

But (and it's a big but(t) all of these are set up tubeless on wide UST rims (DeeMax and 823) with stans. Probably why I never had problems with squirm or pinch flats using the lighter versions.

JMH

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
honestly TA, they looked completely ghey. i should have got the 6.1 rims but alas, i did not. betty will be great i am sure! only downside is that bike will now be down under 36 lbs :(
Ya after hammering my MTXs everything else feels ghey:DRode my Spot on Wednesday and I mean itsw a great bike but alas it felt Ghey compared to the RFX yesterday I sepnt 5 hrs with the RFX urgh urghh urghhh oh yeahaa thats what Im talking about!

Trust me try the Minion 3C 2.5F front and rear you will be surprised it rolls very fast for its weight, I prefer the DHR on the rear but its a personal thingy these are the best big tires Ive ridden for me in our conditions, I ride everything from sand to clay to u name it its been through the ringer Im very impressed, I generally don't worry about the rear too much as long as it rolls fast bu the front tire is what hooks you up if that dosen't hold its line or give you trust you will be a slow dawg:thumbsup:

try it before the bettys so u can have a bench mark tp work from for yr setup and ride style u may be very surprised with the results and remeber tire pressure I run 35psi front unfortunately with tube and have no probs with sidewall or flex:thumbsup:

Go hard big guy.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Maybe I need to take a second look at my sexuality cause I can't wait to get my ghey XC 5.1 wheels with cyclocrossish 2.4/2.3 single ply tires on my RFX :)

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
cactuscorn said:
where do i begin?
hey, that was my line! that's what i get for riding instead of sitting in front of my computer.

i'll let you know what tire to run after i make sure i pick up about 10 of 'em on sale for $10 ea :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.