Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email from MTBr "Alist Special Offer i-RULE".

Look at the first item advertised for sale. Come on?! I should be interested in this offer based on a drawing of the product (see first pic)? The advertiser really couldn't get a real pic?

Well, if you received that email and the product did in fact look good to you, maybe you'd like to buy a bike I have for sale. I'll give you a killer deal (see second pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Maybe the cost of a prototype was to expensive..

Locoman said:

Look at the first item advertised for sale. Come on?! I should be interested in this offer based on a drawing of the product (see first pic)? The advertiser really couldn't get a real pic?

Well, if you received that email and the product did in fact look good to you, maybe you'd like to buy a bike I have for sale. I'll give you a killer deal (see second pic).

A drawing is more cost affective.

·
Registered
78 Posts
xrussox said:
first hand i can tell you that it is not at all cheaper to use a drawing..
especially when it costs you sales in the long run from looking like crap
Depends on the size of the company, have you seen some of the Ford commercials, the one with the "I've got the Power" song to it, those are all CG (Computer Generated.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For you I have a special deal! ..How much $$$ do you have?

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Locoman said:

Dear Locoman,

I would like to buy your bike. I am fine with the buying price of $40,234 US dollars. I reside in Nigeria right now and I will have a shipping agent take care of the bike once I make my payment to you. May I have your address so that I can send you the money. I prefer a cashier's check because it is certified and a secure way to do business.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Phatty bike.

I'm the graphics guy for a sporting goods chain, and more often than not apparel images in catalogs which the buyers order from are drawings like you have shown.. Even the big guys- Nike, Adidas, Underarmour, etc.

I'm perplexed as to the logic of not including actual pictures myself. I won't use an image like that for POP signage or on the website, thus I can't effectively promote their product unless they supply me with photos.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There is no way it's more cost effective to use that POS image over a real picture. Surely someone that works there owns a digital camera. And surely someone that works there is photogenic enough to put the jacket on and model it for the ad. Even if they got that drawing for free, the loss in credibility costs the company in the form of lost sales.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Do not complain to mtbr about artwork supplied by an advertiser. The site is just delivering the content, not creating it.

In any case, drawings of garments are very common for catalogs. Makes it much easier to see the shape and features than in a photo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.