Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[rant] Does anyone else find it odd that 90% of the businesses out there are closed today because of "weather"? Seriously, we were out driving around at 5pm and the roads are wet - as in NO snowpack - it has all melted off. We tried to go to Best Buy - closed, B&N - closed, Chipotle - closed, just about every business out there is closed. No snowpack, mind you - just a bunch of people afraid of some standing water. Now, I understand that the flight my ex is supposed to be taking back to Denver tonight has been cancelled - and the earliest she can get back? Tuesday. I wonder what work would say tommorrow if I called in (so that I can watch my son, who my ex will not be able to pick up for 2 days) and told them "Gee guys - there's at least 1.5" of water collecting in the low spots on the street - I think that I should stay indoors for my own safety."?

Is it just me - or does this whole "Blizzard of '05" strike anyone else as slightly overblown?

[/rant]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Agree 100%. I just tried to go get some gas and the gas stations are closed around here. The roads are nothing but wet and people can't leave their houses.

:D Good call on the SoCal. Rain makes people drive into each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
dwj said:
the blizzard probably is way over blown, who cares. relax, if you can't spend any money because the stores are closed, you don't need any money. call into work, take the kid for a bike ride, a hike or go sledding.
You're missing it. Everything is shut down because of a little snow. No one is uptight, it is just kind of funny how paralyzed everything became. Just because we can still go walk the dogs, shovel, build snowman, etc.. doesn't make it any less amusing.
 

·
Stand back
Joined
·
4,213 Posts
nw is clear

bikescars101 said:
I have two feet of snow on my street. Some people might call that slightly impairing, but I decided snowshoes were invented for a reason.
maybe 5-6" here in Arvada - streets are wet only, no snow to speak of. Costco closed at 4:30. I thought it was amusing, too.
But then I currently don't have a job, and will maybe head up snowboarding tomorrow regardless of the weather. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
wzup

Jerry... I am glad to see that yu are doing better. The coolest part for me is that there were several dh groups last year. This year thereis ONE big group, as we all know eachother now. Super excited to be in the 05 racing series.... looking forward to riding with, and racing against all of you. It would be pretty sweet if there were 10 + mtbr members rocking keystone every weekend!!! Rumors of INSANE stunts this summer.... As a Manitou junkie looking forward to the 06 "Travis" series of forks! KInd of confused if if it is a larger TPC+ or TPC and SPV like their XC fork is gonna be... In my opinion if they merged the xc type "snap evolve" with the spv slider it would be the [email protected]@ We can always dream now... Gonna stick with the Breakout Plus for this year... As opposed to a new DH fork... I'm gonna get a whole new Rigid urban/dj bike
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dwj said:
the blizzard probably is way over blown, who cares. relax, if you can't spend any money because the stores are closed, you don't need any money. call into work, take the kid for a bike ride, a hike or go sledding.
Yeah - I actually did get some sledding / hiking / boarding in this weekend, I'm just amazed by the response to today's weather. It looks pretty bad out, and there is quite a bit of snow, but the streets were in great shape a few hours ago. It just seems like much ado about nothing. Hell, we even made CNN.com's homepage - like we're in a state of emergency :)
 

·
Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
Down here I25 and all that was closed, but if you looked at the weather cameras it was whiteout conditions with a lot of snow on the roads. Currently there's 1inch to 3ft in my front yard and 4ft drifts in my neighbors. :D If it stays cold maybe I can get a delay on Tuesday as well, :p
 

·
ride
Joined
·
5,275 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
We tried to go to Best Buy - closed, B&N - closed, Chipotle - closed, just about every business out there is closed.
I closed the shop early for 2 reasons - 1, no store traffic, and 2, so I could ride (on dirt, no less)!
 

·
Stand back
Joined
·
4,213 Posts
coolio

Rally Blue said:
Jerry... I am glad to see that yu are doing better. The coolest part for me is that there were several dh groups last year. This year thereis ONE big group, as we all know eachother now. Super excited to be in the 05 racing series.... looking forward to riding with, and racing against all of you. It would be pretty sweet if there were 10 + mtbr members rocking keystone every weekend!!! Rumors of INSANE stunts this summer.... As a Manitou junkie looking forward to the 06 "Travis" series of forks! KInd of confused if if it is a larger TPC+ or TPC and SPV like their XC fork is gonna be... In my opinion if they merged the xc type "snap evolve" with the spv slider it would be the [email protected]@ We can always dream now... Gonna stick with the Breakout Plus for this year... As opposed to a new DH fork... I'm gonna get a whole new Rigid urban/dj bike
I like what I hear, if they don't raise prices up to nixon/ fox 36 levels...
considering picking up a shorter fork for my hardtail - even w/ the firefly cranked down, bike still feels tall and marshmallow-y at the sk8pk in comparison to my bmx.
Morning Arvada snow report: couple more inches fell, so now maybe 7-8" on the ground, streets looking a little slick, but not super snowy. Wife is resisting my attempts to convince her to call in sick so she can go snbding w/ me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Probably about 9" of snow fell in Downtown Denver yesterday. It never really collected on the roads - just the sidewalks. The part that really sux is that I had to decide to not ride my bike into work today simply for saftety reasons. I don't think the hookworms would hook up very well in wet/slush/snowpack that exists on the sides of the roads here. Oh well, I should probably move to SoCal so when this happens I don't even have to ride into work anyway because it would be closed anyway. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,104 Posts
Opposite story down here

We got about 6 inches of snow here and it started sticking to the roads from the get go. At one point I was suffering from cabin fever/new Subaru fever and made and excuse to drive about a mile from my house. I drove through several 12" drifts in some of the worst white out conditions I have ever seen. I had to run one red light because the snow was blowing so fiercely that the stoplight sensor couldn't see my car to change the light. On the second light, I had to get out and hit the ped crossing button to get the cycle to trigger. On the way home I stopped at Super Target for a loaf of bread and in talking to the cashier, they had no plans to close down...

So are people just wusses up North?!?
 

·
Non Dual Bliss
Joined
·
6,240 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
[rant] Does anyone else find it odd that 90% of the businesses out there are closed today because of "weather"? Seriously, we were out driving around at 5pm and the roads are wet - as in NO snowpack - it has all melted off. We tried to go to Best Buy - closed, B&N - closed, Chipotle - closed, just about every business out there is closed. No snowpack, mind you - just a bunch of people afraid of some standing water. Now, I understand that the flight my ex is supposed to be taking back to Denver tonight has been cancelled - and the earliest she can get back? Tuesday. I wonder what work would say tommorrow if I called in (so that I can watch my son, who my ex will not be able to pick up for 2 days) and told them "Gee guys - there's at least 1.5" of water collecting in the low spots on the street - I think that I should stay indoors for my own safety."?

Is it just me - or does this whole "Blizzard of '05" strike anyone else as slightly overblown?

[/rant]
So, the big questions is: are you at work now, or at home? :)
 

·
Non Dual Bliss
Joined
·
6,240 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
At home - deciding whether or not I should go to work - damned conscience. :)
Well, I made it to work, no problem. I did get some snow in my shoes. I'd say 12" here on the level. DW's home from school.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
.thumper. said:
I dunno if that's a good idea... Evergreen probably has even more standing water. Sounds too dangerous.
It makes it so much easier to call in - in good conscience - when your boss is stuck in her house because her husband broke the plow trying to clear 3' of snow off the driveway up in Evergreen :)

It doesn't hurt matters that I can work remotely either.

DWF said:
Well, I made it to work, no problem. I did get some snow in my shoes. I'd say 12" here on the level. DW's home from school.
Quit rubbing your commute in our faces Don. We all know perfectly well that just had your pilot warm up your helicopter a good 10 minutes prior to your finishing breakfast, before your commute into the palatial corporate headquarters of Anvil. 12" of snow.... pffttt... maybe in your walk from the heli-pad to the elevator.

You do own a bike company, afterall...

;)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top