Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding an Exiwolf on one bike and a Spec Resolution on another in the front. Who thinks the WW is a better tire? I don't want something too heavy, it should be fairly durable, and handle Nor-Cal fireroads (ruts, sand, dust, rocks, etc).

Is it worth buying one if I already have 2 new Resolutions in the garage?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You can never have too many tires. :)

Personally, I love the WW and the Stout as front tires. They are both perfect for NorCal riding.

Edit: I'm referring to the 2.3 or 2.5 race WW, and not the LT version, just realized my mistake. It happens when you have more than one wheel size to choose from. :)

If you are looking to buy a tire, go with the Rampage, otherwise run what you have.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Don't really like the WW. Heavy and didn't seem to roll very well for me. Traction is mediocre. I wanted to like the tire because of its size and volume, but I couldn't get there. Running Rampages now and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Well, bought one recently, it's dry and it's not on my bike which says alot really :( Back to a Halo Choir Master.

It's unpredictable, not great traction wise, slightly too low on the pressure and it caves in and breaks away, sending you flying on bends.

Shame I liked the volume!!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
count me in the crowd that liked the WW as a front tire (never used it as a rear).

Worked well for me in Alabama's terrain

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
diggin the ww

in rocky new england. hooks up great in the back. rolls fast and is super cush. makes my el mariachi ride real nice.........me like.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just put one on the front Friday after a sidewall problem with the Exiwolf that was on there, and it seems good so far. I haven't been able to experiment with pressures yet, because I was in Austin on unfamiliar trails. Had to run 35 psi to keep from bottoming out on the rocks. I am hoping to be able to run lower pressure with the bigger case on my local trails.

·
loud hubs save lives
702 Posts
not in norcal, but i had a WW up front twice. works well on hardpack, but with dusty/rocky/dry conditions it slides all over the place. i've replaced it with a rampage, again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I find the Weirwolf LT 2.5's only real strength to be the size of the casing/volume of air you can put in it. Traction and performance wise there are better tires (I find both the Rampage and the Mountain King 2.4 to be better). I ride mostly in Oregon, sometimes in Northern CA, Colorado, and Utah.

For me, in the summer/dryer times of the year, I run Rampages front and rear. Their performance is excellent, weight is good, volume is good. In the winter time/rainy season, I run Conti Mountain King 2.4's front and rear.

Interestingly, I put my Mountain King and WW 2.5 up to each other the other day, and the outside tread width is visually the same! The WW casing/volume is definitely bigger, but appearance wise they aren't much bigger.

·
awesome
817 Posts
pros:

low rolling resistance
predictable
big volume
comfy
reasonably light
decent traction in dry conditions, even though not on par with the most aggressive (heavier and slower rolling) competition

cons:

pressure has to be just right, especially if running rigid and or tubeless, otherwise it will be either too bouncy or it will fold
a little fragile, I almost cut mine in 2 places, I am a 170 lbs cross country rider over rocky terrain
expensive
a dry only tire

or at least that's my end of the story ;)

·
oh crap...
551 Posts
In my experience on my rigid SS/geared 29er:

pros

- running tubeless just above 20psi on Stan's Flow now (180lbs with gear).
- great traction in rear in all but the sloppiest conditions.
- cushy

cons

- squirmy up front in the sloppy slop
- does not shed mud very well

I try to only ride in dry conditions here in the midwest but this year has been an exception, especially during a couple races which were held despite the rainy weather.

I like them and feel fast and confident on them...but I haven't tried out any other 29er tires for comparison yet. Hope that helps!

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
WishIwereriding, I run the Resolution on the front with a variety of rear tires - I like the Exi/Resolution combo a lot. Ignitor has also been good so far on the rear in NorCal. I ride trails, fireroads, you name it. Reso has been overall a great tire on front - didn't like it on the back too much. Rode Rensho's Niner with the WW 2.55 on it one day and thought it felt good in the Santa Cruz redwood duff we were in that day. Moist and smooth, it stuck and rolled nice. Don't think I'd like it in loose or rocky conditions though. Just my .02 - good luck, but I'd keep running what you got in the garage. I have a few I gathered too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.