Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm racing the XC course at 205 lbs geared up...i've never done it before...

does anyone think the new WTB Wolverine 2.2 would make it down the course without flatting/tearing?...is it "enough tire" for the XC course (for me)?...

i currently have a pair of Weirwolf 2.3 FR (inner peace sidewalls)...

what psi would you recommend with both the Wolverine and Weirwolf FR?...i want to make it down without a flat!

·
openwound
580 Posts
For a big guy, such as yourself, IMHO, you'll do very well to keep the dh-cased tires on your bike. Yeah, you'll be lugging some additional weight up that climb but you'll be happy for them once you get into the babyheads and other, sharper rocky sections on the trail. Pinch-flatting is really common on those trails. Is the wolverine a dh-cased tire ("inner peace" is wtb's way of saying "dh casing")?

I think that the weirwolf's are plenty of tire for the course. Though it may be different for you, a friend of mine who raced the xc last year said that speed -- going fast and experiencing any issues because of said speed -- wasn't an issue during his race because of the amount of traffic. He just couldn't go fast. And, also owing to the amount of traffic, he wasn't able to ride the best (clearest) line, having to ride around slower riders on much rougher stuff.

What psi is a tough one, IMHO. I've got my tires at 35 now. That feels really hard as the bike sits in the garage. I'll likely drop a few psi once I get up there, it'll depend on how badly I'm bouncing off the rocks at that pressure. I didn't run dh-cased tires last year (racing the dh) and regretted it -- two flats. I run tubes, for what it's worth.

I hope that this helps. Have a great time.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...i agree with you...i've always raced the DH...these tires worked well enough...never had a flat in a d-ville race...

the inner peace is not a DH casing...just a little added strip on sidewall...

i've always ran around 45 psi...may be way too much, but i was around 230 lbs in those days...i know the tires probably don't behave correctly at that psi, but it has worked (no flats)...and i've never crashed due to traction (tire) problems...

good insight on the "having to wait for the slower guys on the DH parts" comment...that helps to know...i may be so irrittaed with that (if it happens) that it might end my d-ville racing career...the DH is getting ridiculous to get into...the whole weekend is getting more expensive...and i hate traffic jams while trying to race...and the crowds at the race are getting too big...this will be my first attempt at the XC race...

i may just make d-ville a non-race mid-week trip during the summer...just enjoy multiple runs with some friends...

p.s. how bad is the climb at the start of the race?...can you provide specifics so i know what to expect?

·
openwound
580 Posts
re: inner peace. My bad, my assumptions are showing... But if you've had good luck (no flats) with inner peace tires, I would stick with them. I put on dh-cased tires on my bike and it raised the weight by a good 2lbs. But I've only got the mid-way climb to deal with.

45psi sounds really high to me, you may be able to get away with 40 or less. I'd definitely play with the tire pressure. 35psi may be pushing it with your weight.

Not to put too much of a bummer on your buzz but if you're racing with a bunch of skinny xc guys (I'm ~190-195 kitted-out, so I'm up there with you) they're probably gonna drop you on the climb...

Practice your body-checking skills so that you can get 'em out of the way on the descent. (kidding!) Definitely be ready to take alternate lines to get around folks. Though trail etiquette says they should move if you're on their ass, we both know that ain't gonna happen. If you're riding something heavier than a straight xc race machine, you'll be able to pull off a few passes, as the guys on the short-travel xc rigs just won't want to wander off of the best line. And you'll want to get past as many guys as possible from the moment you crest the top of the hill to before you get off of the rocky double-track -- 'cause once you're on the singletrack it'll just be frustration-station central...

I've only ever done the dh. Having read about the climb, and read the impact on the riders' faces last year, I can tell you that it's unlikely that I'll ever do the xc. Doing a 3000' foot climb over 8 miles is not my idea of a good time. I'm pretty sure that that is where the race is won or lost. If you're not gunnin' for a win, I'd hydrate, carb load, and sleep well the night before and then just settle in at your pace. Pick off the folks who've gone out too hard and then let 'er rip on the fun stuff.

From the dville classic site, they describe it as going from pavement (in Sierra City) to fireroad to double-track. They'll have a water mist set-up at the 2mile point and aid stations, too. Find your rhythm and rock it at a steady pace. Enjoy the ride, it sounds as if you're ready for it.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the good info...

i know i'm not gonna win my category or hang with the fast climbers...but i do know i can get up the climb in an OK fashion...after all that work i don't want to deal with a bunch of weenies that scorch the climb then baby the rest of the course...

from what i hear a sub-3 hour time would be a good effort for me...

oh well...it will be fun either way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what I've read and the people I've talked to in Downieville, the Weir Wolf 2.55 LT is pretty much the tire of choice up there. That said, I've not had a chance to ride that particular tire.

Just been riding Downieville for the first time this summer and I'm on 2.35 Kenda Nevegal's and while I've been very happy with them, I don't think they're as good as the 2.35 Weir Wolfs on my other bike.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have ridden with both and the 2.2 is a fast tire but pretty thin and has a real center edge feel, if that makes sence? The LT on the other hand is still light and has much more volume which is worth not flatting to me. They both arent great corning tires but I have not had a problem. Figure your tired and hallin @$$, a little extra volume may just save your butt, I know it did mine:)

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Larger volume and tough sidewalls are a good thing for Dville. WTB unfortunately gave up on the Inner Peace so if you've got 2.3 Weirwolfs with Inner Peace that'd be my choice over the Wolverine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.