Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried mounting the 2.5's (tubeless ready tires) on my Stan's wheels (built by Mike C.) and cannot for the life of me get them on the rim.

Am I not trying hard enough or are these tires not compatible with the rims? I've put plenty of tight fitting tires on rims in the past, but this is a different animal.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
WTB's TCS tires actually have a UST bead which is tighter than the tubeless ready version of some other brands such as Kenda, Schwalbe, or Specialized. UST tires and tires with a UST bead are tight than these mentioned above. Stan's rims were originally designed for using tube-type tires tubeless because they are lighter tires and were more readily available. But, usually you can get a UST tire on Stan's 26in rims compared to Stan's 29er rims where it's next to impossible to mount on of these.

So try again, but this time mount the valve area last. If you have the tire over the valve first you will have to stretch further because the valve impedes the center channel of the rim. After you get one side mounted begin mounting the other bead opposite the valve and work your way around to the valve. Also important - while you are working the second bead on the rim push the first bead out of the center of the channel to make room for the second bead. The further into the deepest part of the channel you can get the bead the less you will have to stretch once you're at the valve.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
Strait from NoTubes "Not Recommended Tires"

WTB TCS and UST 29 inch tires are too tight for Stan's Notubes rims and NoTubes licensed rims such as Sun Ringle Black Flag.
If your interested in a trade I got some Purgatory 2.2" (same size as the current 2.3") 2Bliss tires that I have mounted on Stans rims with little trouble. They are at least 90% tread, one is a Control and one is a S-Works.

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas, as always I get great answers here.

I think I'll just end up throwing them on my Niner that has Salsa Gordo's, but thanks for the offer.

I'm glad I didn't keep trying and end up breaking something, I was quite frustrated last night in the basement and several swear words were used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.