Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait to try some of these bad boys. I'm not in love with 29+, but these look perfect for is mid size folks.

·
Big wheels keep on rollin
368 Posts
Since they are 4 mm shorter in overall wheel height than a 29 x 2.2" tire you could have an "almost" mid-fat bike if they fit. I went right out to the garage and measured.

I've got about 77mm of space at the seat stays... so depending on height of actual tire they would just fit on my 29er..... with 650B wheels of course.

mike

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I think I read that Vee was coming out with a wide 27.5 tire as well…like 3.0-3.2 or something. I expect we'll be seeing a number of other players in the mix as well in the next year.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Since they are 4 mm shorter in overall wheel height than a 29 x 2.2" tire you could have an "almost" mid-fat bike if they fit. I went right out to the garage and measured.

I've got about 77mm of space at the seat stays... so depending on height of actual tire they would just fit on my 29er..... with 650B wheels of course.

mike
The reason it is a 2.8 instead of a 3.0 or 3.25 is because at the slightly lesser volume it improves its chances of fitting in to existing 29" frames without modification allowing for a chance to experience + style volume for just the cost of a set of wheels and tires, which arguably is plenty these days.

The reality is that it due to it's actual diameter being so close to 29"es it won't change a conventional 29"ers geometry much if any and there are lots of suspension forks that will accommodate it. RM is billing this as an adventure tire but I feel it is more than that and can become the everyman's entry in to higher volume for whatever their needs may be.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I want to try this in the back of my SS rig. I have a Krampus fork on it so maybe a knard in front and the trailblazer in the back for winter commuting.

·
2,881 Posts
Living in the land of zero traction, this sized tire/wheel combo is interesting to me as a front wheel only, conventional 29er in the back...... more traction, still decent rolling....

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,637 Posts
Wonder if they will fit my Altitude?

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Give WTB a call. Mine should be here by Wed!

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just ordered one for sizing. Initially it will go on an Misfit Dissent, but I'm currently looking at FS frames. I'm rehabbing a knee surgery and won't be riding offroad for about 6 mos. This is a project to occupy me in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I was thinking of making my SC Tallboy into a 27.5+. Looks like I have enough room. Lots of Sandy trails on Cape Cod. It would be a low fat bike vs my ML'r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking of making my SC Tallboy into a 27.5+. Looks like I have enough room. Lots of Sandy trails on Cape Cod. It would be a low fat bike vs my ML'r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is one frame that I'm looking at. Let us know if you try it out.

My biggest dilemma right now is what rim to try. My first thought was a Blunt 35, but I don't know how well it will play with the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah I think the idea is solid, but if people read the above review the tester can't fit the B+ rim on the appropriate 45mm WTB rims in the rear triangles of all the fs bikes he tried.

A 25mm rim probably "works" with a few mm's of clearance but from my armchair engineering background there will potentially be too much squirm of that tire on a skinny rim -- especially on a full suspension bike you will want to push hard into corners.

1 - 20 of 336 Posts